Hummingbird Matrix 47 3D

ahawk1001

Recruit
I am interested in buying a Matrix 47 3D because of its 3D capability.<br /><br />I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experience with it.<br /><br />I notice none of the other main manufacturers of depth finders offer a 3D version. Is that because it is patented by Hummingbird or it is just not worth a darn.<br /><br />I would love to see a review on depth finders but I can not find anyplace to see it.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hummingbird Matrix 47 3D

I have never used the Matrix 47 3d, but my friend has the older Humminbird Wide 3d. It has a certain cool factor but I don't think it is worth the extra money.<br />Last season I upgraded one of my units and was seriously considering the 47. I ended up going with the Matrix 37 due to the fact that it had 90deg sonar, and was only $300 with a barometric pressure sensor(Free at that time). I belive Eagle made a few units in the past but got away from them.

JohnOD

Recruit
Re: Hummingbird Matrix 47 3D

ahawk I was interested in the Matrix 47 myself due to its 3D capability. I looked long & hard for reviews on the web and found reports from actual users hard to come by. There seemed to be very little info specific to that particular unit but being fairly new to fish finders in general I noticed an overall distain for Humminbirds with frequent references to them as “Scumminbirds" on some web sites.<br /><br />My unqualified take on Humminbird products in general is that for some period of time they did have issues with undependability with problems like fogging screens, wouldn’t hold the bottom, etc. Now it seems like they are leading the pack with new technology. The 987c-SI with its side imaging and the models with the 3D capability are outside of the traditional fish finder box. While it remains to be seen how dependable the new units are I was willing to take the gamble myself and recently mounted a 47 3D on my new North River boat. I put the transducer on my bow mounted trolling motor and also added the WeatherSence. She has yet to see water so I can’t offer any actual experience with it.<br /><br />John