Hummingbird gel cell battery?

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice
I have been trying to find an easy solution to my problem. I would like to e able to listen to the radio with the boat off and not have to worry about the battery dying. I found on sears and amazon these hummingbird gel cell batteries. The bigger ones they use for fishfinders but people he said howling they last, it also comes with a recharging kit. Does anybody know could I jut get one of these and hook the radio up to it and when I get each outing just take the battery with me and charge it up at the house for next time. it seems like this will work but I didn't know if maybe it won't last for just a little bit. Any info thanks!

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hummingbird gel cell battery?

Depends on what you are listening to (simple radio, big stereo, etc.) but I doubt that it would last very long in any case. Get a smaller deep cycle battery, and remove that from the boat to charge it, or do what I do and get a larger deep cycle battery and charge it in the boat. My boat is parked next to the garage and I just run an extension cord out and charge it in the boat.

TerryMSU

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Hummingbird gel cell battery?

Where can I find one of these and how much are they. Also do they make small ones that are some what lighter which would make much easier to transport from marina to house? also how much life would it give me would I be needing to charge it after every use?