Humminbird (Crap)

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I bought my boat I didn't know anything about marine electronics. Having used my Humminbird (I think it is a fs100) I have found that this is a piece of crap. It doesn't show the arc shape that the high dollar units do. It shows what is called a "fish id". I can't seem to be able to read the bottom either. If I buy a new fishfinder, (hopefully Santa will come through for me this year) do they come with another transducer, do I have to but a new one or can I just use the one I already have. I don't know the one I have now. Is it written in the "puck" or anywhere else. Just want to know before I have to put a round peg in a square hole if you know what I mean.

phototom1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Humminbird (Crap)

fatpratt1996<br />When you buy a new depth finder / Fishfinder it will come with a new transducer,chances are even if you bought a new Hummingbird the new depth finder will not be compatiable with the old transducer. Depth finders change from year to year in quality and upgraded features as well as the plugs and recepticals where they plug in. I recengtly bought a new Eagle 320 the transducer looked identical to the old Eagle unit that was on the boat but the plugs were very different where they pluged in the back of the unit. If you have to drill new holes for the new unit (however the ones now there might match) one soultion is to use the old mounting bolts or screws in the old holes and seal them with a good below water silicone sealant and drill a new set for the new transducer. Hope this helps, some one else might have a different soulition. Good luck<br /><br /> Tom Harvey

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Fatpratt1996<br />I am not a humminbird fan but I have never see a depth finder that you can not turn off the FISH ID Symbols. Try turning it off and see if you like it better. Also If I was to get a new depth finder I would want to pick the unit My self and get the features I want.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

It's not the humminbird brand - you may just have a cheap model with too few pixels to show an arch. I got a humminbird pirana3 with my boat & still use it until I can afford to upgrade. FishID does turn off but then it doesn't show the depth of the targets so I leave it on. <br /><br />It's reliable, easy to use, and accurate. I don't own any humminbird stock - just haven't yet found a reason to criticize them like others on this board have. I can see bottom contours, structure, schools of baitfish - it's really quite serviceable for the price.<br /><br />FWIW, the Eagle Fishmark 320 is on my Christmas list, based on comments here and recommendations from a couple guides.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess what I'm looking for is a more detailed description of the bottom of the lake. The fish id on my particular fish finder shows visual fish and the only option is to turn the audible beep off when it detects a fish. It may just be me being too picky. But on the other hand, what causes this thing to ittermitanly shut itself down? It usually happens when I start the motor, it can happen when I am underway, or just while I am fishing.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

When starting, if the voltage dips below a certain number the unit will power off. How's your battery voltage? <br /><br />I've used a lot of humminbirds and have been happy with them. I've also used a paper-stylus lowrance back when I was younger on my dad's boat. No LCD beats that resolution.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll look into the charge of my cranking battery. It always has been great at holding a charge. Motor turns over normally,radio works all day, all pumps are working fine, ect. But I will check the voltage level.

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

one way to prevent the F/F from shutting down on eng. start up ,is to shut downthe F/F before you re-start your eng. OR use a separate batt. for your accessories and use the other one just for cranking. Check the Voltage when cranking.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well when I got the boat it always stayed on. Anyway I checked the battery voltage, it was 12.76. Is there a way to check the voltage drop while I am cranking the engine? I have a good voltmeter but it isn't quick enough to check that sort of thing.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

fatpratt, Sounds like you may not have a owners manual. If it is indeed a Humminbird you can go to there site and download a manual. wwwhumminbird.com.

twag

Cadet

Just my two cents worth. I don't own stock in Humminbird, but I must say my Matrix 17 with optional GPS is a great value. It provides useful data, and is easy to operate. Overall, I'm pleased with my unit.

redmopar

Seaman

My piranha 10 max works OK. Cheap lil thing. I turned fishID off because it would tell me there was a fish at 300' while I was in 10' of water. Later figured out I can turn down the sensitivity and turn on a filter. Now fishID works fine. If you can tweak with the settings it may be worthwile, it was for me. I am pleased with the unit also.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Another way to keep the electronics from shutting down is to add an isolating diode and a capacitor. The diode is wired in series with the power and the capacitor is wired across the load. When the battery voltage dips during cranking, the capacitor provides a small amount of current to keep the voltage at the electronics up. The capacitor has to be large enough to provide current as long as you are cranking the engine.