Humble pie with pictures

Ski'nBlind

Seaman Apprentice
Allright, I got my 1 month old stator removed from the engine tonight ready to ship it back to CDI with the RMA number. Didn't take long to figure out why one of my high speed windings was "open". The bundled wires coming out of the starter was hitting the bottom of the flywheel and rubbed through the insulation and some of the conductors. My bad for calling out a part defective with only a meter. The wire bundle was hugging the block as tight as it would and my wiring was routed thru the original wire holders. This may or may not be a warranty item. There is no physical way (without fabbing a bracket) to hold that wire bundle closer to the engine. It appears the CDI wire bundle portrudes out and away from the stator at a 45 deg angle instead of straight down like the original. I would describe it as wrapped and shellaced where that bundle comes out of the stator so forcing it is going to make a "cracking" sound.

If it's under warranty I assume I would get an exact replacement and I will have the same issue. If it's not warranty-able should I buy a Sierra brand stator and hope for a better placement of the wire bundle. What do you guys think? Suppose I should call CDI tech support before I return it and see what they say?

a.jpg

b.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Humble pie with pictures

Personally, I believe that should be a warranty claim as the product is not fit for purpose... it was supplied as a direct replacement for the OEM stator, and it didn't do the job. As for a new one.... maybe they will learn from this error (unlikely as companies like CDI seem to think they already know it all :rolleyes:) and the replacement will be made correctly...

I suspect that sierra source their product from CDI (sierra don't make anything!), so it may well be exactly the same... at least you'll know what to look for. :)

I'm guessing that engine is a 115hp in-line 6, about 1982 (just from the photos).... If so, then the Merc genuine stator is part# 398-5454A17 and still available from Merc....

Chris........

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Suppose I should call CDI tech support before I return it and see what they say?

Personally, I'd love it if you did this. At least they'd know they likely have a problem. I could "hope" that they might fix it, probably not, but at least the next time it happens it wouldn't be the first time they've heard of it.

j_martin

Admiral

I think they'd warrant it, especially with your explanation.

If, for some reason the new one is out of place like that, "crack" it into place and spray it with a little insulating lacquer, and go on with life.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

From your pictures if it is a 115hp it is routed wrong...

Ski'nBlind

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the responses.

Achris....Yes it's a 1983 115hp. I didn't know Sierra doesn't make their own parts. The price of the CDI stator was about $60.00 less shipped but what sold me on their product in the first place was the open airflow windings to reduce heat build up and voltage regulated low speed windings, I thought it would be a better product than stock replacement.

J martin....I would definately be doing some minor surgery with an exact replacement.

Fazt...I installed the new one exactly as the factory one was installed. It is a 115hp, please explain how it is routed wrong. If that's true I certainly don't want to repeat mistakes. There was no clamp or bracket for the wire bundle under the flywheel??

CDI warranty dept will not answer the phone so far today, just keeps going to voice msg. I can repair the damaged wires with soldered joints and shrink tubing, and make the bundle exit straight down.....but forget about a warranty after that! I would at least be able to test the rest of the ignition components this weekend

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

All the ADI ignition 115's I have worked on the wires exit starboard side of and fall across transfer ports to packs along with trigger wiring. The only stator that mounts like you havethat I know of are some the smaller inline 4's and some 80-85hp.

Ski'nBlind

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, read you loud and clear on that. That would be 90 deg's clockwise of how the old factory stator was installed (and my new one). Can you please confirm that I can rotate the stator any direction BUT that I have to rotate it 2 mounting holes because of the poles? The mounting holes on the CDI stator are spaced 30 deg's apart so I would not want to install it directly starboard on the engine...thus not exactly 90 deg's or 3 bolts holes. When I get home I will look for a clear path for the wiring down the starboard side. Thanks

Still no call back or answer from CDI today....bummer:(

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I concur with Fazt on the cable routing... down the starboard side of the engine to the packs. The orientation of the stator will have no effect on its output....

The old stator may have been replaced in the past and fitted incorrectly... Surprisingly it does happen (too damn often!! :mad:)....

No call back from CDI.... Why am I not surprised????

Chris......

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Email one or both of these fellows and you will get a quicker reply....

T.J at TJcdielectronics.com................................sales
Sean Hill @ shillcdielectronics.com.......................tech service /warranty