Hull turns brown

Good Sport

Cadet
I have a 1998 white fiberglass boat which is used in saltwater exclusively. It is only in the water for a few days at a time when it is being used. My hull keeps turning brown below the waterline -- everytime I pull the boat out, the hull is a little browner. Sort of a light rust color.<br /><br />On and Off easily removes the brown stain - cleaner wax will not touch it. I have been cleaning it about once a year. But nobody else's boat turns brown. Why does mine? I thought it might have something to do with electroloysis, but my zincs are behaving normally.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Hull turns brown

After you remove it with on off,you must wax the part of the hull that is turning color.The gelcoat is a little porous and the growth is leeching into the gelcoat.A good coat of wax or 2 will seal it up.A friend of mine waxes the hull and then applies another coat of wax to the underwater part and leaves the wax on for a barrier.It works quite well.Charlie

Good Sport

Cadet

That sounds like good advice CC. Any particular wax you recommend for the hull below the waterline? I use Mary Kate cleaner wax topside.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Mary kate is good stuff.I have tried them all and my favorite is Dolfinite.It is a little pricey but it lasts a long time and it is easy to apply.I used a milder product to remove the brown.I dont recall what the name is but it is in a small clear plastic jar and it is blue.It is called fiberglass stain remover.I dont think you get as far with a jar of this but you dont have to worry what you get it on.On off is great stuff but it is acid and you have to be careful with it. Charlie