Hull shine question

asbennett

Seaman
Hi - I have a hull shine question - let me explain. I have a 1982 I/O. The hull is oxidized and shows a white haze. Waxing only gives it a partial shine (faded look). However, when wet the hull looks great. Because of the time and trouble of sanding or buffing down a small layer of Gel coat, I am looking for someway of putting on a temporary shine that would last a few outings. Believe it or not, I spray the hull with ArmorAll before going out and the boat looks great - after running all day the ArmorAll wears off. Is there a product that will "harden" and maybe last longer? Not wax based but maybe Teflon or something? Something to wipe on and last at least as long as wax to get me through the season. <br /><br />Thanks!

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Hull shine question

Penetrol <br />or<br />Vertiglas<br /><br />Search the site for threads on those items.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

OMC,I can tell you exactly what you need.It is formula 303.It looks exactly like armor all and goes on the same way.I have had experience with this so if you do it this way it will last for a little longer than you want.Instead of waxing your boat use polish or cleaner wax .As soon as you are done removing the polish ,spray the 303 on a small sponge and spray a light mist on the hull.Then rub it in and leave it on until you are ready to go boating.Wipe it down with an absorbant cloth when its ready to float and it will last a few weeks.Penetrol or vertiglass will leave a coating that must be applied correctly or it is h3ll to get off.Charlie

asbennett

Seaman

Great responses - can anyone tell me more about Formula 303 or Vertiglas? I have used 3M's FinessII with no luck.

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

penetrol will give very good results as well !

asbennett

Seaman

Ok - I need to take a vote. Please reply with your recommended choice of the 3. I will use the winning product and reply back with results! (You gotta love the democratic process!)<br /><br />Vertiglas<br /><br />Penetrol<br /><br />Formular 303

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Penetrol, its easy and only $8 bucks a can enough to do your boat twice ! Vertiglass is 10 times the price !! $$$$$$$$$$$$.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

OMC you seem to missing a big point.All three of these products are for different purposes.The 303 is to make dull gelcoat shine and requires reapplications.As I stated before,it goes on like armor all but lasts longer,no buildup.Penetrol will give you the wet look but depending on how severe the gelcoat is faded and how evenly it is applied WILL need several coats and will have to be recoated within months and will buildup and is very difficult to remove and not recommended for white gelcoat because it is yellow tinted.Vertiglas is designed to go on like a clear coat and be permanent.You may need as many as 3-10 coats and will have to do a coat or 2 each season.Each has its own purpose though they are all designed for faded gelcoat.There are other choices.I prefer the best way which is getting a rotary polishing wheel and do a polish compound followed by a polish and then topcoat with wax.I did this to my last dark blue boat with fantastic results.This is not a lazy guys choice but in my opinion it yeilds the best results.the cheapest and simplist way to do it is to clean the hull and apply acrylic floor finish liquid which you can get in a supermarket for about $4.Just wipe it on and it will look great for a month or two and will wear away all by itself.The whole equation is determined by the current condition of your gelcoat.Without knowing that I cant honestly vote.Charlie

phatmanmike

Captain

stop spraying it with armorall!!!!!.... where do you think all that stuff has gone at the end of the day? it wears of SOMEWHERE

asbennett

Seaman

OK - I agree I am still learning here. (That's why I turn to you guys for help). So can you tell me what 3M Marine Finesse-it II Finishing Material is and how it compares to the other products mentioned above? I have this product but after using rubbing compound and then the Finishing material, the finish looks dull. 3M says this gives a "Wet look". Is there a trick to using this or maybe I just did not put enough coats on.

quebec#1

Petty Officer 1st Class

As with my boat wax or compound no longer worked infact it made the finish duller. You can wet sand the boat with 600 grit and work your way to 1500 grit (WET SAND) And then go through the compound way and wax. Its a lot of work but the end results are good. Or once your finish wet sanding the boat you can re clear coat the boat thats the best way for a more permanent results ! <br />I would give the penetrol thing a try, its cheap and last a few months even longer if the boat is covered, its sure easy and you will be very happy with the results .It will leave a few streaks but the end resutlts are very good...