Hull Identification Question

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,

I got pulled over this afternoon and the cop was questioning me as to why my hull has two different hull id numbers (both stamped one under the other on the back right hand side). He took a pic of them and told me that he was going to have to look into it. He was acting as if the boat could be stolen, YIKES!!! I just bought the boat 3 weeks ago. Do Sea Rays (1991) have 2 hull id's?

Don

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hull Identification Question

My hull id is part of the fiber glass, if its a label or a sticker or pop riveted on then it might be something fishy. Or one could be the HIN and the other some kind of number that ur manufacture assigned it like a serial number or some way to look up that specific boat or parts. Are both the numbers similar.

go to this site http://www.boathistoryreport.com/

and enter in both hull numbers and see what comes up.

Good luck

if the first 3 letters are SER then its a Searay boat

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic1.aspx for a list of mic codes

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Kamby. I looked up the first one (starts with "serv") and it pulls up the boat (it was the actual hull id). Looked at the other one and is only 11 characters and was invalid. Both are engraved into the fiberglass (not sticker, riveted, etc.) and the invalid HIN starts with a 180br (its a sea ray 180 bowrider). Any ideas as to what this number could possibly represent? The marine cop said he had not seen anything like that before. Thanks, Don

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

the 180br is probably a production number, 180br is the model and the rest would probably be the serial number manufacture location and date of manufacture, used for pinpointing exact parts for your boat from manufacture like a finger print if you will.

SER would be the manufacture the V is the start of the serial number

Mine starts with BL3 which is Spokane Bayliner.

he can run the 180br # all he wants its not gonna come up with anything and as long as you got a clean title with matching #'s your fine.

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The problem is boats are not titled in Alabama. I do, however, have a registration in the previous owners name (I haven't registered it yet, thus the reason for getting pulled over) with serial number that matches the "SERV" number.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

The problem is boats are not titled in Alabama. I do, however, have a registration in the previous owners name (I haven't registered it yet, thus the reason for getting pulled over) with serial number that matches the "SERV" number.

Oh gotcha. Im not sure how that works as im from a title everything state lol. Was the boat purchased in alabama or are u from another state. I think most states that dont do titles you still have to register them so as long as the registration matches the hin number on your boat you should be fine to register it.

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im from Alabama and bought it here also. It was real stupidity on my part actually. I should not have gone out in a newly purchased boat BEFORE REGISTERING IT IN MY NAME without the bill of sale. I had no way to prove it belonged to me, talk about a helpless feeling. The cop got to snooping around and thats when he found the 2 numbers. Who would have thought the stinking marine cop would have busted me just taking a quick spin to test out the new impeller. Needless to say, I believe I will be registering this stupid thing Monday morning.

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi, When I seen your post, I went and asked someone I know that does this kind of investigating work of stolen boats for a living.
(I asked, What do you think of this Question? Thanks.) And this is what he said.

(Quote)
I pretty much had the answer before I checked the link and saw it was a Sea Ray.

Many Sea Ray boats have the primary HIN ad required by USCG. Sea Ray also uses a reverse tape production number that is below the HIN. this is unusual, but perfectly legal. The officer is somewhat inexperienced like most cops are, but when he/she checks with an expert they will set it straight. Nothing to worry about. I do appreciate the officer at least checking the HIN, most don't and many stolen boats go undetected.

Thanks for asking, glad that I could help. You are welcome to share the answer.

The author of this Quote is BoatPI.:)

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

THANK YOU!! I also think what caused a problem is that in the HIN, there is an I and he probably mistakened for a 1 just as I did when I was trying to pull it up on the boat check website.

Willyclay

Captain

I looked up the first one (starts with "serv") and it pulls up the boat (it was the actual hull id). Thanks, Don

Here's a link to the USCG Manufacturers Indentification Code (MIC) database for SER. The footnotes explain that the fourth alpha character in Sea Ray HIN's identifies the plant that built your boat. V in your case is Telico, TN. Good luck!

http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=SER

Fun Times

Staff member

THANK YOU!! I also think what caused a problem is that in the HIN, there is an I and he probably mistakened for a 1 just as I did when I was trying to pull it up on the boat check website.
Also if you do get a chance to talk to the police officer about this you could give him A website he could go look at if he his trying to better his career about finding boats, I believe this site called "Todd & Associates" will help better any officer because it could help them understand boats better, Also at the same time it could help them keep an eye out for boats that are still stolen, And for boats that have been recovered.:)

http://www.boatman.com/