hub assembly on dodge ram

swl

Seaman
Seems like about every year or so I gotta put a new front hub/bearing on my 99 ram 4x4 1500. I had a 96 pretty much the same thing. Do the rams just eat bearings or is it just a curse on me? Dem darn things gettin expensive!! One side, then the other. First one I did myself, to heck with that! now I pay the shop to do 'em. Anyone care to opine?

24 Albie

Recruit
Re: hub assembly on dodge ram

Me thinks the dodges are just hungry. I replaced the drivers side at 150,000 and the passenger side at 180,000. Hopefully I'll get that much more out of them. truck's a 98 4x4 QC 12V

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I have never been a fan of full time hubs as they are always engaged, If I was having these issues I would look at going warn part time hubs if they are already not.
Is this used as a light duty 4x4 or are you out playing in the mud.
Are you having issues with loose wheel bearings?????

24 Albie

Recruit

I agree on the warn hubs problem is they are cost prohibitive on the Dodges. better off changing every 150,000 or so miles

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I agree on the warn hubs problem is they are cost prohibitive on the Dodges. better off changing every 150,000 or so miles

What is the difference in cost between full time dodge hubs and the part time Warn hubs???
Also if you are using the part time hubs your fuel milage will go up as you are not moving all those parts around while you are driving, (front diff, drive shaft etc).

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

You can't put hubs on a Ram without changing the entire axle. Rams have CAD (central axle disconnect), and later went with a live axle design.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

You can't put hubs on a Ram without changing the entire axle. Rams have CAD (central axle disconnect), and later went with a live axle design.

Well thats the pits, no way to get away from all that parasitec drag.

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

Well thats the pits, no way to get away from all that parasitec drag.

Yep, it does stink. I see that topic come up semi-often on another forum I help run. I have seen where some guys have swapped in a solid axle from a Ford with success, but that takes a little bit of fabrication to pull that off.

There is at least one company (Dynatrac I believe) that makes a conversion kit that allows you to put hubs on a Dodge axle, but it's expensive. About $2,000 from what I recall.

greenz

Seaman Apprentice

It's definitely a way of life for the dodge trucks. If you look at the difference between a real hub (rebuildable with warn locks) and the dodge hubs, they're much more narrow than the real hubs. Thus placing alot more force on those bearings, kinda like the difference of pulling something up about 4 inches from your elbow vs pulling something with your hand. Alot of leverage there, especially with the diesels where the cummins' weighs 1015lbs dry. My old '98 quad cab long bed with the 12v auto weighed in at 7200lbs with me in it, empty fuel tank, and no cargo. Front end parts for a dodge are definitely throw away items. Although, if diesel wasn't so darn high, the 1/2ton chevy would be sold already and i'd be back in another cummins.

puddle jumper

Captain

I was going to suggest that you look at you offset of your wheels. Plus if you have any kind of lift may also create problems. Driving habits also play a role if you like to corner at high rates of speed.

swl

Seaman

Sounds like I'm just stuck with it. "throw away parts" thats a good one greenz. No lift, and I dont drive hard at all. Thanks for all the input guys, at least I know I dont have some kinda curse on me

NYBo

Admiral

Have you checked the CV joints?

chizwizdiz

Seaman Apprentice

I have found a few tricks over the years to get the unit bearings in and out relatively fast. Rockauto.com has by far, had the best price.