hp evenrude lower unit seals

morpheus847

Cadet
Got a used boat the other day and i think it's needing lower unit seals changed oil and went to the lake the other day and it's a little milky again. My question is. Is replacing the seals a bad job can it be done at home fairly easy. Im fairly mechanically inclined. Also what does this kind of work usually cost. Oh yeah 90hp evenrude

iwombat

Captain
Re: hp evenrude lower unit seals

Did you change the seals on the drain and level plugs? Most of the time that's the culprit. Should be changed every time you change oil.

morpheus847

Cadet

I called the local marine store and they sais they didn't have any of the orings to replace them. So i got some silicone and put around them when i put them back in. Do you still think water would have gotten past that

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't recommend silicone. Get the original seals. Mail order a bunch if need be as they can be thrown in an envelope!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What year/model 90hp? Makes a difference if you intend to replace the seals.

Does it have o-rings on the fill plugs? If so, you may be able to get them from your local Ace Hardware much cheaper.

morpheus847

Cadet

It's an 82 im pretty sure model e90tlcnb. Looking at parts diagrams for it looks like i should be able to pull the bearing housing from behind the propeller and everything else should stay in place with the lock rings is this right. I took the propeller off today and looked in a little further and i could see a bit of milky oil setting in the bottom of the round tube. So im pretty sure that it's getting in where the o-ring is on the back of the bearing carrier