Howdy!

shadowcast

Cadet
hey guys/gals! i am a brand spankin' new to this board! lol. I am in the process of learning my new hobby, "fishing!" . i havent had my first catch yet :( i am from Southern california and i went fishing last weekend at a very nice lake here (lake skinner) i spent 8 hours in the lake, but had no luck :( oh well. better luck next time.<br /><br />again, id like to say hi to everybody!

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Howdy!

What OMC said. Buy them a cup o joe and yhey might take you to their favorite holes. P.S. Love the avater

one more cast

Captain

Welcome shadowcast, You will need a little more then just luck to catch fish.You will also need some basic fishing skills.Any local bait and tackle shop will give you some pointers for your area.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Let the addiction begin. Let me give ya a few tips that every fisherman needs to know. <br /><br />First and foremost,, you can never have enough gear, that includes but is not limited to, rods, reels,crankbaits, soft plastics , hard plastics, spoons, jigs, spinnerbaits, buzz baits, hooks , line, sinkers, etc, etc. No matter what your significant other thinks.<br /><br />Second,, You can never have enough goodies for the boat. We are talking fish finders, GPS, rod holders, trolling motors, fancy fishin seats, and the all important outboard motor. <br /><br />You will need to read a ruler in the fisherman's style,, this usually involves adding at least three to four inches to each measurement you take.<br /><br />Third,, The nephews birthday party can wait and is not at all as important as a trip to the lake. After all the kid will have a birthday every year. It's not like the fish bite every day dont ya know!<br /><br />Hope this helps you on your way to your fishing addiction.<br /><br />One last thing, as an old sage once wrote about on this very board,, NEVER MAROON YOUR ANCHOR. :D <br /><br />Tightlines Flathead.

shadowcast

Cadet

Hi OMC! Thanks for the warm welcome! i am new to this hobby and i am willing to learn the basics because i really enjoy the first time i went fishing. it was a lot of fun than i expected! :) <br /><br />fatpratt- thanks! i love my avatar too. ;) <br /><br />flahthead - thanks for the advice! i sure need 'em! When i last fished, i saw a lot of carps but they arent biting :( my friend said they like dough and marshmallows, and i did that , they wont bite :( weird. sorry if i am asking dumb questions. i am really new here and need help!<br /><br />Nosleep- thanks for the welcome! you guys rock! ;)

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to Iboats. (and the best sub-forum there is FISHING)<br />I guess since you're in Cali we get to hear about your fishing stories since all us "northerners" are about to freeze.<br />I took the boat out one last time yesterday, came home & covered it for winter :(

rwise

Captain

shadowcast<br />try dough balls made from wheaties and strawberry soda on those carp, most will say they are not a good eating fish but they are a blast to catch!<br />Richard

one more cast

Captain

Shadowcast, What type of fishing are you starting out with? Are you fishing from a boat or the bank? If you explain exactly what you are doing we can better advise you. I have a box full of lures,jigs,etc. but I just use a hook , sinker and night crawler 90% of the time. My advise is....Fish like to hide so cast as close as you Can to under water structure (logs,rocks,drop offs,docks,weeds,whatever)

shadowcast

Cadet

SkunkEd- I didnt know that y'all are from the north . lol. it is pretty cold here in southern california right now. it snowed last weekend too! :eek: all of us were shocked. lol.<br /><br />Hi rwise- yes. a friend told me carps are fun to catch but i dont think you would like to eat 'em because they have too much bones.<br /><br />OMC - i started fishing from the banks/docks with some friends and they all got a bite except me. I am not sure what i am doing wrong but we are all using the same lures that we got. a month ago we were trying to catch some catfish and we went fishing at the docks, and we used mackarel for baits, my friend got a 20-lb catfish !!! Amazing! I swear that catfish was pulling real hard that she needed our help to get that fish out of the water. lol. we obviously are all new here so we're kinda not sure what to do first. lol.<br /><br />Anyway, last week was the first time i tried fishing from a boat. We went close to the weeds and rocks like you said but still fish wont bite. :( I ended up loosing some of my fave lures as they always got stuck to those tall weeds. :( One time, i stuck my lure to the rocks, i thought i had a bite, lol. then realizing my line is not moving at all, lol . oh well... just a rock. lol.<br /><br />I only use lures most of the time. Not sure what a night crawler is?

one more cast

Captain

As long as some of your friends are catching fish then just try to copy what they are doing.You will get better with time. This is a night crawler...
0300007.gif

KCLOST

Commander

Try to throw a couple of handfuls of corn from of a can out into the lake near where you saw those carp. Using a very small hook just big enough to hold two or three kernels of corn, (#6 I think) cast it out there where the corn was spread out.. Use some weight to get it to sink down... Sit back, and relax, but get ready to catch that pole because it may be pulled into the lake if you hook a big one... <br /><br />Those carp will be drawn in by the corn and will suck it up like a vacuum cleaner... Eventually they will get to your hook... Might catch some catfish also...<br /><br />Have fun...

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't belive all ya hear about those nasty old carp. Every once in a while when I'am out fishing the mighty mo for my favorite "Flathead catfish" one of them will stumble on mt trot line. If you get one big enough 15# and up sear them first other wise about 6 to 8 hours on a smoker with hickory and they start tasting like salmon. Bones no problem by that time you eat em like sardines. bones and all. <br />Good luck fishing you have gotten some good advice.<br />Ray

shadowcast

Cadet

Thank you all for your advice! I might go fishing this weekend so i will keep y'all posted! this site rocks!