How well does a 9.9 push these boats...

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Something I have been thinking about, just curouis if it has been tried....How well can a 9.9 push a 16' Aluminum Deep V.....a mid to late Starcraft as an example. We currently have a 55 that seldom gets used currently, and a 5.5 kicker that moves us in smaller lakes, but while I may just leave well enough alone for now down the road I was considering going to ONE newer and more dependable engine that could still move our boat decently but allow for smaller lakes. Just thinking....appreciate any comments. Anyone tried this on this type of boat?

gss036

Commander
Re: How well does a 9.9 push these boats...

a 9.9 hp would make a very good kicker for that boat. Not a lot of speed but will move it around ok.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Are you HP limited on any of these lakes? If not, 15s usually are the same overall "form factor" as the 9.9s so you get that extra power with no weight sacrifice.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to say, yes. We have three lakes pretty close to home, all with 10HP limits. So I either keep running kicker motors or use one 9.9. I have so many ideas and thoughts on this thing it is hard to know what to do. My idea was to eventully buy a newer, more dependable motor than either I have now. The 55 has no tilt and is a 76' model and the 61 fisherman has been a pain so far although it is getting better.....but if the 9.9 is slow to push this boat the larger lakes we will eventually go to will be pain as well to navagate....I might just be better off getting a CMC tilt for the old 55 and buying a newer kicker eventually.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 9.9 Merc 4 stroke pushes my 2000 Lund Alaskan at 6mph WOT. You won't get on plane but it should move you around if the lake isnt big.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You have to watch those 9.9/15 horse engines. Had a person bring in a 9.9 that he bought up north (Minn) and had me check it over before he put it on his boat. Turns out it was a 15 with 9.9 markings. Some one must have been cheating on those 10hp lakes they have up there.

bumrunner

Seaman

Another option is to get a high thrust 9.9. I have a 9.9 Mercury Bigfoot which for all intensive purposes has the power of a 15hp motor. The prop and shaft are larger on the high thrust model. I have this motor mounted as a kicker on my 22 ft Prosports boat - It doesn't go fast, but it certainally has the power to push me around. You get most of the benefits of a 15, and stay legal with the 9.9. Just my thought.

gss036

Commander

I used to have a 15 hp Honda for a kicker on my SeaCraft 23 WA and it would push it around 7 mph w/the tide. I now use a Yamaha T9.9 High Thrust, top speed with is about 5 mph, which is ok since it has a lot more push in the fast moving tides. A lot of people with up grade the older 9.9 to a 15 hp. The newer Honda have changed and now the 8 and 9.9 share the same parts basically and the 15 and 20 do the share thing.
The Mercury, Nissan and Tohatsu are all the same engine with different colors, etc.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 9.9 Johnson 2 stroke on a 16' Grumman V hull, it would start to get on plane but that's about it, it needed just a bit more power. That was in a bare 4 bench seat hull with two 250lb men aboard and a full 6 gallon tank.
I eventually converted it to a 15hp by changing the carb and exhaust tube, that did the trick but it still only did about 18 mph. After the 9.9 wore out, I got a deal on a later Honda BF10, 10hp, it was a good motor but slow. It did pull a larger prop though so it was bearable The best part about the Honda was that it fired up on the first pull and didn't need much warm up time to get going.

If your running a 55 now, having only a 10hp motor will be a pretty drastic drop in performance. To be honest, I didn't see much difference between the 9.9hp Johnson and an older 6hp I had before it. The motor that I had which I like the best in the 10hp range was my old 9.5hp, it seemed to be stronger than the 9.9hp and being lighter, it was easier to carry and swap out for my larger motor. The older pin drive prop style lower unit seemed to create less drag in the water too. I wish I still had that motor.

Haffiman

Commander

Probably any engine above 5 Hp will push that boat to its hull speed, about 5 knots, in flat water, no wind or current.
To go planning, you will probably have to go up to above 40, depending on engine weight, prop etc.
Any 8-10 Hp with a High Thrust/Sail propeller will probably be the optimum. More and you will just push more water with very little speed gain.
The engine brand and type is of less importance, the propeller options available to the engine is the deciding one.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all of the input! Right now I will stay with what I have, but I have seen some really nice deals as of late for newer model 9.9's... real tempting but money is a concern right now. I could do it but until I see what the economy does I will stay put with the old 5.5. Down the road though I am going to have to figure out what is best for us. What I want is dependability, not so much speed. Running a motor that is 34 years old and another that is 49 years old makes me nervous when we go out to bigger lakes. I am leaning toward a 9.9 kicker and getting my 55 in top shape and then a CMC tilt for easier usage. Thanks again!

Starfire150

Cadet

I put my 1973 Mercury 9.8hp on a 2010 TRACKER? Topper? 1542 LW Riveted Jon with two people and it went up on plane and performed very well.
we were suprized as to how fast it went. I did not use a GPS but it had to be 10-13mph.

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

My, when I had it, 1961 9.5 Johnson pushed a 12' fiberglass car topper at 20mph. A friend had a 14' alum with a 9.5 and would do about 16mph.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

I was quite surprized at some of the speeds people say they get on their gps,with 9.9's and boats that size or bigger.If you mostly fish lakes 10hp or less you may be able to plain out and get around 15mph.
This is just one of many articles I've seen on the topic.
http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=572643

bktheking

Vice Admiral

My 76 15 hp on my 16ft Crestliner does 24mph on GPS downstream, that's just with me in the bateau.

FYI- my KH7 Merc did 23mph with me and a 200Lb buddy in the boat :D

I've had 9.9's on it, 18mph.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

I had sort of the same dilemma here, we have big lakes, lakes with a 10hp limit and electric only lakes. I came to the conclusion that the answer was another boat. I have my bigger boat for the big lakes and a 1442 flat bottom jon boat with a 9.9hp outboard for the 10hp limit lakes and the rivers. I just take the 9.9 off for the electric only lakes. The 9.9 four stroke moves the jon boat at 23mph gps, with me, two trolling motors,two batteries, two anchors, a cooler and a fair amount of fishing gear.

ralphl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another option is to get a high thrust 9.9. I have a 9.9 Mercury Bigfoot which for all intensive purposes has the power of a 15hp motor. The prop and shaft are larger on the high thrust model. I have this motor mounted as a kicker on my 22 ft Prosports boat - It doesn't go fast, but it certainally has the power to push me around. You get most of the benefits of a 15, and stay legal with the 9.9. Just my thought.

could you show a pic of how you mount that second kicker??