How to wire old Suzuki tachometer

mulletronic

Recruit
Hi guys,

I have an old Suzuki tachometer that I got for free and I am trying to get working with my Mercury 60HP outboard. My outboard requires a "6 pole" connection to the tach gauge.

The back of the tachometer has four terminals: "12", "B", "4" and "G". the B and 4 terminals are connected together with a terminal bridge.

Typically tachometers have a GND, IGN (+12v from battery) and third terminal for the signal input - and some way to configure the number of poles coming to the input.

I assume the "G" terminal is for the Ground. To what terminals (and how) should the +12V and the actual Tach signal from the outboard be connected?

Thanks a ton,
Marko

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I know nothing about that tach, but 12 is the only multiple of 6, so that would be my 1st guess.
some talk about poles and some about pulses.
I have no clue what the B is
See if you can find a manual for that Tach online

mulletronic

Recruit
Could it be possible that a tach could work without +12V attached to it (with only the tach pulses + GND)? There are only two wires attached to the gauge but then again, the third might be just missing.

.. Maybe "B" is for Battery but then again, the terminal bridge from the +12V to the "4" does not make much sense.