How to use a drift anchor

mrbuckaro

Cadet
Any one know how to use a drift anchor. Where to tie it, how much line out, ect. Anyone have a link for this subject. Thanks.

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to use a drift anchor

I guess you mean a sea anchor, a parachute like device to slow your drift, the best way is to experiment different tie off points to get the drift you want, like boat front into wind, boat sideways to wind (say for fishing) and length can be any distance that does not interfere with fishing gear.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Keep the rope short, and tie it off to the back of the boat. This will keep the back of the boat oriented toward your fishing lines. Basically that's it. Throw it over and don't tangle your line in it.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Don't tie the drift sock to the stern if you are in serious waves- it can swamp you. I've tried them all over the boat and depending on wind direction, current and a few other factors, I've found that there is no one way to anchor one. I found that while on Erie with mild wind I can tie to the cleat amidships on my boat and we can all fish off the side. However, when we get into a stiffer breeze and 2-4's I only want to tie to the bow so the waves won't come over the stern into the splashwell. <br /><br /> When I fish on the Ohio River I anchor from the bow and then put the sock off the stern. This holds the boat steady in the current and it doesn't wave back and forth. <br /><br /> Just get one that is sized for your boat and experiment. Get one with a floating ring on the top and weights on the bottom so it opens right away and stay open without spinning. A dump line is awfully helpful too. <br /><br /> UFM82