How to troubleshoot dead light fixture

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No, its not the bulb.... I have a hallway light connected to 2 3-way switches. At some point last year it stopped working. Since my wife any I are expecting our second baby in January, we will be using the room outside this very dark hall. It didn't bother me until now....<br /><br />I believe it died during the time we were having an addition put on the house. I think it was either the roofers banging on the roof, or the contractors killing the power to it when they removed a wall and 2 outlets that was near one of the switches.<br /><br />The fixture only has 1 regular 2 conductor (plus ground) going to it. The switches have 3 connectors. <br /><br />Using my voltmeter, I can't find juice at any point in the system. I assume that the power will come into one of the switch boxes and get tied into there. Other than tracing the wire out of the switches and figuring out where they tie in, any suggestions on how to track this down?

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: How to troubleshoot dead light fixture

When you look up into the box in the ceiling where the fixture is connected, how many other wires do you see up there? What colours and how are they connected to one another?

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have a look at the light fixture itself, I have seen power input looped across to a fitting and then the switch circuit taken from there.(I realise that NZ wiring may be done differently from that in the USA).

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced the fixture since the old one did not fit with the new decor, so that's not it. The wire going to the fixture is just a normal one, black, white, and ground.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Scooch-2, since it worked before the modifications and now it doesn't it appears that the removal of the 2 outlets near one of the switches caused your problem, if it was the roofers banging the power would be there and you would have loose connections. The 3-way circuit was receiving power from one of the removed outlets. Try this link, good luck, Ken<br /><br /> http://home.howstuffworks.com/three-way2.htm

flashback

Captain

I would go with Ken on this, one of the outlets that were removed were used to supply power to the light circuit, get some power to that circuit and all will be good...

crab bait

Captain

there are many ways to wire a 3-way swicth.. count 7ways.. <br /><br />but anyway you do it,, the power MUST go to the common/dark screw of the switch (any one of the two ).. <br /><br />an the swicth leg/( power to the lite ) must also derive from the other common/dark screw of the OTHER switch..<br /><br />if no power is to be at the switches,, yes,, there is a problem that has to be remedied..

Ron G

Commander

im with ken on this,on 3 ways there should be a rered wire or ablack this is your travler wire it should stay out all the time,if no power on them then you know one of the plugs was powering it ,one last thing be careful and always treat wires like there alive.

Scooch_2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all for the advice. Looks like my weekend will be trying to trace the wires from the switch downstairs to see if I can find where the power was stolen from. Its a shame its too hot to spend more than 10 minutes in the attic at a time. <br /><br />I have till January when the baby is scheduled to arrive (although the last was 2 months early). Maybe I'll put off till November.... :)