How to Troll for Salmon in River?

surfduke

Seaman
I am interested to see what the best method for trolling for salmon in estuaries and rivers in the Northwest. Presently I am using a 3 way 12" leader and a 5 oz cannonball sinker , 9 inch leader with a small dodger, then another 2' leader with a cut plug herring or a bluefox spinner.<br /><br />What's your advice?

PW2

Commander
Re: How to Troll for Salmon in River?

There's no substitute for local knowledge. Find out what the locals are doing.<br /><br />I used to fish in Tillamook Bay, and they used a spinner. I also fished in Nehalem Bay, and used herring.<br /><br />At some point, salmon when in the estuaries quit feeding, although they may still strike at lures. My first experience fishing for salmon in a river was in the Duwamish River just off downtown Seattle. We had an old Japanese guy who was a neighbor, and he took me out there. He used a small dodger with hooks right on that. He said the salmon would hit it out of anger, as it would imitate a sea-run cutthroat, and the trout liked to bash the salmon on the sides to dislodge eggs in order to eat the eggs. All I know is that when a fish hit that dodger, they hit it very very hard.<br /><br />And the stomachs were always empty.<br /><br />A salmon hitting in Tillamook would hit a lure very gently--you'll miss it if you don't know what to look for or are slow to react.<br /><br />Good Luck.

gsmith39

Cadet

you need to know the conditions, and what the ocean is doing when rigging up, it may change from day to day. flashers, divers, sqiud jigs or just weight and bait work well. <br />weight and bait is very good know now, but you need to pay attention to leader lengths And the roll of the bait, slower the better for chinooks now.<br />good fishing

LubeDude

Admiral

Surfduke:<br /><br />I like your website, and would like to wet a line with ya sometime and talk abought such things. I live just south of you in Lakeside, I attend the Reedsport Foursquare church on frontage road.

surfduke

Seaman

Lubedude: Been trying to contact you. I need your email address. You can contact me through my webpage at www.mayberrychurch.com<br /><br />or surfduke (at) gmail (dot) com <br /><br /> :) <br /><br />Looking forward to talking to you!

Jan Z

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by surfduke:<br /> I am interested to see what the best method for trolling for salmon in estuaries and rivers in the Northwest. Presently I am using a 3 way 12" leader and a 5 oz cannonball sinker , 9 inch leader with a small dodger, then another 2' leader with a cut plug herring or a bluefox spinner.<br /><br />What's your advice?
This link ought to help<br /> http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_12_rules_salmon_fishing.html <br /><br />I'm just down the road from you in Eureka, I had great success last season using a Pink lady diver, an "0" dodger and a Buchold bait holder in chartruce topped with a 4.5" white hootchie.<br /><br />
DSCF0002.JPG
<br /><br />The spacing was 30" diver to flasher, 24" flasher to hook, hook was a 5/0 and the leader was 50# with mainline 65# power pro. troling speed was 1.5 to 2.5 kts