how to tell if I have a bridgeport without disassembling the motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice
I have a mercury 200 hp which has had the powerhead replaced before I bought the engine. The engine sounds like a hotrod. Are there any way to tell if it is a bridgeport without taking it apart to look at pistons, etc. thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to tell if I have a bridgeport without disassembling the motor

Pull spark plug and look in cylinder at exhaust, if it has a small bridge in middle of exhaust port its a bridgedport motor,if just a oval hole its stock.

Dukedog

Captain

What Fb says but first clue is if tha block is "painted" or not. HP oval port and BP"s (all Merc/Mariner High Perf block's) were not painted (black and/or gray). Someone "MIGHT" have painted it but that's VERY, VERY unlikely...........

Last edited:

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

here are pics

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 4

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

when I pull plug I cant see anything but top of piston covered in black carbon...all are like that with exception of one that is silver and black spotted

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a late 2.4 or early 2.5 fishing motor. If I had a nickle for every 135, 150, or 175 I looked at that the owner swore was a 200 I'd be doing pretty good. What is the serial number? Its located on top of the right ( starboard ) side cylinder bank near the cylinder head stamped into a freeze plug type marker.

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

it doesnt have anything but 200 stamped in it....

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

the owner told me it was a 1990 200 hp oil injected black max

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

the owner told me it was a 1990 200 hp oil injected black max

Never believe anyone selling a boat motor. You should have a serial number either stamped into the block somewhere or on the freeze plug.

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

the serial number on the clamp is a different number. There was a powerhead put on the boat and I can't seem to find a serial number anywhere......the freeze plug on top starboard side just says 200. Ill keep looking but havent' found anythimg close to a serial number

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

you can tell the block has been painted black. you can see the overspray in hard to paint places.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

you can tell the block has been painted black. you can see the overspray in hard to paint places.

The factory black painted blocks look the same way. Look on the parting lines between the block and front case for serial numbers.
. Also next to the cylinder heads. Mercury ALWAYS put serial numbers on their production blocks. Only exceptions is on service blocks. If you have a service 200 block, which it sounds like you might, then it is probably a chrome 2.4 bridgeport block.

Dukedog

Captain

You would probably see a better paint job, as far as places that seem ta have been missed, by someone other than factory. They hardly ever get it all covered up.......

Merc didn't ALWAYS stamp tha serial number on a production block. I've had and seen a bunch of pre "fat" block production motors with nothing at all on tha block. On tha Hi Po motors its ALMOST always stamped on tha port side, block half flange at tha split but they All (production and Hi Po) have tha build date............Hi Po blocks won't have any hp number stamped anywhere on tha block except tha tha Hi Po "oval" port. It might/might not have tha 200 stamped on tha welsh plug.....

That is a production 2.4 200 from tha looks of it. It also looks ta be pre '89. Its still got all tha clam shell stuff. Check tha build date stamp............

Last edited:

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

I'm still leaning towards over the counter service motor or block. Only ones Ive seen without SN stampings were those. I'd still check for the SN stamped into the block though. If they are there thats where they will be.

Dukedog

Captain

That's tha "norm" so ta speak with tha numbers on tha V6 but Merc seems ta be a little inconsistent in that area and some others when it comes ta identifying certain things. I've got two Hi Perf. blocks with "replacement power head" serial numbers stamped by Mercury on tha flange and for some reason no one at Merc or anywhere else can tell me what they are. Good ta have a "little experience" and friends with even more ta figure 'em out...............

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

I see numbers all over it at different places but nothing that looks like it would be a serial number

Dukedog

Captain

Tha "build date" will be port side stamped at tha base of number 2 cylinder on tha block half. Will be 1/8" numbers (M/D/YR.). Probably kinda behind tha advance timin' arm. Sometimes hard ta make out but will be there............

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Its a 1986-88 midsection as its got the remote trim possibly a mod-vp midsection since it has can drilled. It appears to have a later model 2.4 powerhead due to the 1 piece heads and 4 bolt poppet but old style ignition 16 amp ignition and cowls.

DWfunk

Seaman Apprentice

I found the numbers 8 6 98 just behind the idle spark adjust on block and that is it.

Dukedog

Captain

Well, that leaves me in tha truck. That style block ended production in '90 with tha comin' of tha "fat" block and 2.5. I've never seen Merc make replacement blocks more than 7 (that's a stretch) years back then, way shorter for tha chrome bore, after production stops. But after all we're talkin' 'bout Merc/Mariner. So...................."calf rope"!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.