How to tell apart a 2 stroke or 4 stroke

Franco55

Recruit
I'm a very new boater and the small craft I have is a 16 footer. It is a 1970s era boat. It has a Johnson GT100 outboard engine. I don't see any markings indicating a real number or any identification except the cover which says, Johnson GT100. How do I tell if it's a 2 or 4 stroke? It has a small reservoir that has oil. A container for gas, that is close to the oil reservoir. I can't see an oil filter on the engine. Can anyone help, it will be much appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
From just the outside of the motor someone that wasn't familiar with the brands and their offerings would have a tough time knowing the difference.

Before about the year 2000 everything was 2 stroke, yes there were some 4 strokes around, but that was the beginning of the end of 2 strokes, after that all brands leaned hard in the 4 stroke direction except Evinrude.

Yours is a 2 stroke.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
GT 100 is a 2 stroke.----Best to verify that oil injection is in service and working properly.----A compression test for later reference is a good idea too.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Easiest way to tell is pull the hood and see if it has a timing belt. Yours is definitely a 2 strk.

Last edited:

Franco55

Recruit
Thanks very much for the replies! I will get pictures to you by days end. Again it is much appreciated.

thatone123

Banned
If under 20 hp a 4 stroke is an old fat heavy weak ol' lady so quite and less fuel used coz no get up and go.

Franco55

Recruit
Sorry but I can't post a picture for whatever the reason from my phone. I will try from my iPad tonight. Thanks for all your replies. Boaters are great.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
GT100 is a 2-stroke, V4 crossflow design. Made several years in the late 1980s, possibly early 1990s.