how to switch alpha to receive bravo

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
my block was cracked and I found a good used 5.7 same year model as what was in my boat a 97 , the only difference is it is set up for alpha and I have a bravo, so what all do I need off the old engine ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the ignition controls for the bravo do not have the shift interrupt. the motors are the same otherwise.

alldodge

Staff member
only difference is it is set up for alpha and I have a bravo

Swap the motor and run it, should be no differences so far as your concerned. The other motor has a shift interrupter on the shift plate but guessing your not going to use it, you will use your own

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so switch couplers , use my old shift plate and put my raw water pump on the new engine and should be good to go

Bondo

Staff member
the only difference is it is set up for alpha and I have a bravo, so what all do I need off the old engine ?

Ayuh,.... You'll need the Bravo raw water pump, as well as any other different parts off the front of the motor, to match the difference in the belt to drive the raw water pump, which might have the fuel pump on the back of it,....
So possibly the fuel lines,...
'n many of the water hoses,...

The t-stat housin's I believe are different,....

Ya want the Bravo coupler,... ya might need the Bravo flywheel cover to clear the Bravo coupler,...

I suggest ya just sit 'em on pallets next to each other, 'n Look closely,....

alldodge

Staff member
BTW, if you use the Alpha wiring harness, just don't connect the Wht/Grn wire which was connected to shift interrupter to anything

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yeah thats I'll do just making sure I'm on the right path thanks