how to set timing

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a merc 350, not sure the year or model number but it is standard ignition with points condensor rotor and cap. The timing spec is 8btdc.
when i shine my timing light on the mark should the mark be at 0 or 8btdc.
Also, i have one of those timing lights with a knob that you can adjust. I keep the knob at zero but what is the poing of the knob?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how to set timing

You should see 8? BTDC with the timing light.
With the knob, you can turn it to 8? and then the 0 would be what you would set the timing at on your engine marks.
It's very helpful with advance timing cause you can rev the engine, use the knob to line up the 0? mark and see what your total advance is by what the knob is adjusted to.

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you, yeah i wasn't sure what that knob was for so i was afraid to touch it. I'll give it a shot, thanks

Prop Buster

Cadet

I was reluctant to even attempt to time my engine since the manual claims that there is a certain tool to use and it shouldn't be done with out this tool.
Are they talking about a jumper??

I have an automotive timing light I use on my vehicles.
Wondering if I can time this engine the same way....

Don S

It all depends on what distributor you have as to how to time it.
If you have a question on how to time your engine PB, start a new thread and give the make, model, year, and SN if possible.
Don't just add on to somenone elses thread with your question.

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

here is an update. I set the timing to 8btdc and i just tried to move the knob up in degrees but the mark on the engine looks like it goes the other way than it is supposed to. Lets say i have it set at 8btdc on the engiie and the knob at 0, if i start to turn the knob towards 8 the engine mark goes in the direction of after top dead center rather than further btdc. If i rev the engine up normally it goes more towards btdc. I do have the wire on number one plug i double checked all my wires and everything else seems good so is this normal?
My next question is what rpm should you advance the engine to when you advance the timing with the knob? I am using a shop tach. I know its bad to advance timing too far with out the rpms so i was just wondering.

Don S

You aren't advancing the engine when you turn the knob on the timing light, you are only changing the timing light itself.
Look at the advance curve for your engine to find what rpm max advance is. Set the engine to that speed, then aim the light at the mark and turn the knob till the marks line up at zero.
Then read where your knob is set, that tells you the total advance your engine is getting at that rpm.

Prop Buster

Cadet

oops...sorry about the additional question in someone else's thread.....I should have reworded it without having a question in there. Just wanted offer some info from what I read............

(with head bowed and on my knees, please accept my apology)

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh ok i got it now, thanks don that helps out a lot. i'll have to go give it a shot.