how to repair fiberglass ski ?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Guys, I took a fall yesterday over top the slalom ski. I'm guessing the rope must have hit b/c there is a dime size chunk missing on the side and also another area about 1" long about the same place toward the tip of the ski. Not sure how it happened b/c the rope is pretty padded.

Anyhow how I can repair this somewhat ? - i see fiberglass exposed etc.

thanks again

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: how to repair fiberglass ski ?

Just go to boat shop and get a fibreglass gel coat repair kit.
you can get different colours as well, or pigment it with a gel pigment.
once dry it can be sanded as smooth as you like.
if you dont want to do it yourself, find a surf shop they will do it for sure.
i would definitely do it myself with a gel coat filler and just sand it down and then spray or put a decal on it and
then give a few layers of clear coat etc.

phill

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Likely is not an issue structurally. You don't want it to get worse or get water in there. I've used JB weld or two-part epoxy. Clamp if needed. Sand and paint or not.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

thanks guys for the advice :)

oldjeep

Admiral

I'd also go with the 2 part epoxy. I just did a repair to a small divot on the top of one of my skis where the foam was showing and the epoxy seems to be holding up fine.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Not to take away from the chip's/and stuff. But how expensive was the ski? If a cheapo,just let it go,it'll preform ok,and get upgraded when need be. If it is a pricy one yes,fix it up! My cheapo is 30+ years old,still works just fine with the dings/chips. My pricy ones get the repairs,attention.
Grub