How to remove the old head gasket?

DallasJeff

Seaman
I've been trying to get the old head gasket off a '67 33HP cylinder head. The gasket looks to be made of paper sandwiched around a thin layer of brass. I'm having a hell of a time getting any of it to come off. A putty knife and razor blade aren't getting the job done.

I have a benzomatic torch available and I have all kinds of solvents here at work (acetone, alcohols, methylene chloride, hexane etc).

How do I get this b*tch off?

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to remove the old head gasket?

I use the scotch pads by 3-M they go onto a die grinder, electric drill etc, and come in a variety of grits. It will take a head/block back to the factory machine marks.

DallasJeff

Seaman

I may go that route. After soaking in 50/50 Acetone/Methylene Chloride solvent for 3 hours its still a tough job.

Is this gasket with a metal layer in the middle, a standard gasket for Evinrude? The metal is yellowish so I assume its brass between two layers of paper gasket.

After working on this motor for about a month now I'm really starting to like my old '54 10HP Seahorse. Not as much power but runs like a champ.

AlTn

Commander

I tried that "ziz wheel" approach once and wouldn't recommend it to you. It's difficult not to get a "dip" in either the head or the block deck surface. I was like you and wondered what else to try. If it's mostly the head that has gasket stuck to it....put some 220 grit wet/dry on a really flat surface, flat glass, polished marble, etc. and working in a figure 8 pattern, take it down until the surface is a dull aluminum color...then finish with some 400 or so grit using the same pattern. The deck surface will require patience as well. That was my experience fwiw.

James R

Commander

For issues like this I use a nice clean sharp 3/4 inch wood chisel and work extremely carefully lifting the gasket where ever it will come loose. Soaking in engine oil often helps.
I agree about the use of the scotchbrite discs. Very dicy. So easy to tear away the mating surface.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

I have removed gaskets using a heat gun....and a sharp 1" putty knife....just sorta warm the gasket up work the blade under...then heat ahead of your self and try to lift it off.....keepin the putty knife flat ..not to guoge into the metal...

Al