How To Remove/Separate Lower Unit - 10HP Merc

Martin Leaney

Seaman
I have just purchased a 'previously enjoyed' 10 HP Merc outboard. It is a model 110 with a Thunderbolt ignition - probably late 70's or early 80's(?). The only # I can see is 7008080. We want to use it as a back up/trolling motor on our 26' Chris Craft.<br /><br />I do not have a manual but would like to dis-assemble the leg etc and check things out. Can anyone give us a step by step instruction on how to do this and are there any specific items to check while it is apart. (The motor starts & runs ok but we have not used it on a boat yet).

PBranch

Recruit
Re: How To Remove/Separate Lower Unit - 10HP Merc

you only have to:<br />1. shift it in forward and disconnect the spark plugs for safety<br />2. remove the nut under the cavitation plate above the prop<br />3. loosen up the nut on the stud (the stud is screwed into the lower unit) on the leading edge of the lower unit a little below the water line.<br />4. drop the lower unit a 1/2 or 1 inch or so.<br />5. remove the same nut and take the lower unit off.<br /><br />I would replaced the water pump while you have it off and buy a Mercury service manual (check Mercury web site). These are great little motors!

Martin Leaney

Seaman
Re: How To Remove/Separate Lower Unit - 10HP Merc

Pbranch - Thanks for the info. <br />I had done a search of the Forums to find out if anyone else had already posted a similar question and read a post where a guy almost checked himself into a loony bin trying to get his outboard apart! I figured a quick post would be worth the time...