How to remove lower unit 1991 Evinrude 25hp

2001FZ1

Cadet
I am stuck at where to disconnect the linkage. The shifter is in front which connects to the starboard side of the engine. Picture shows what I'm talking about. (or am I way off on where to look for the disconnect?) The lower unit will drop 1/2 inch with the 4 bolts and front nut off and will drop a little more when put into reverse but will not come all the way off.

Evinrude Model E25TELEIE
Serial: G 02967315

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• DSC03070.jpg
    DSC03070.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC03071.jpg
    DSC03071.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0

jbjennings

Captain
Re: How to remove lower unit 1991 Evinrude 25hp

Take off the plastic water intake screens. Unscrew the shift shaft linkage. THEN, push up the acorn nuts and remove the black, funnel-shaped plastic retainers. They are split to make removal easy, but don't lose 'em, as they are tiny. Now, the acorn nut will slide off the shaft, and the shaft out of the lower unit. It'll come off easily.
Later,
JBJ

2001FZ1

Cadet

Thanks JBJ. I'll check it out tomorrow when there is light again.

Got another question: How do I find out what size and pitch the prop is? After 20 years, its starting to get a little dinged up. Same reason I thought I should look at the water pump - 20 years old.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

If the prop is not stamped on the outside, it should be stamped on the prop hub. You might have to remove the prop and look at the inboard side.

2001FZ1

Cadet

If the prop is not stamped on the outside, it should be stamped on the prop hub. You might have to remove the prop and look at the inboard side.

Found it. Thank you!

Take off the plastic water intake screens. Unscrew the shift shaft linkage. THEN, push up the acorn nuts and remove the black, funnel-shaped plastic retainers. They are split to make removal easy, but don't lose 'em, as they are tiny. Now, the acorn nut will slide off the shaft, and the shaft out of the lower unit. It'll come off easily.
Later,
JBJ

Pretty easy once I knew how....
Thanks again.