How to remove broken Blue plastic Drain Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, So last fall I was winterizing the motor (2002 Mercrusier 5.0) All the blue drain plugs removed easily except the powersteering cooler drain plug. I managed to break the tip off that drain plug and the threaded portion stayed inside the brass housing. Now that its warmer out I have been trying to remove it. I've tried burning it out, heating up a hex key and tried to melt it in, that did not work either. There is barley any space to move around in there. And I've ran out of Ideas.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to remove broken Blue plastic Drain Plug

Howdy,

Unless you can get in there with a small drill, I would remove the PS cooler and do it on the bench.

Since you didn't drain it, there may still be water in there that has frozen and broken it internally. I would want to remove and inspect (pressure-check) it anyway.

Regards,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member

There is barley any space to move around in there.

Ayuh,... Like Rick says,....

Take it Off, 'n work on the bench....

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Howdy,

Unless you can get in there with a small drill, I would remove the PS cooler and do it on the bench.

Since you didn't drain it, there may still be water in there that has frozen and broken it internally. I would want to remove and inspect (pressure-check) it anyway.

Regards,

Rick

Okay, I'll try searching for some info on how to remove it. I drained it the old way of removing both hoses on either end so there should be no freeze damage.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Okay, I'll try searching for some info on how to remove it. I drained it the old way of removing both hoses on either end so there should be no freeze damage.

use a flashlight. There's fittings on each end. you probably won't find a lot of instructions.

1. Remove fittings

2. remove hoses

3. loosen/remove clamp

4. remove heat exchanger.

It'll be in there in a tight place. you may have to put a block under the engine or use a hoist etc and remove the engine mount on that side....if it's near the engine mount.......

Try to do it without removing the engine mount....... if you must, you'll have to remove the drive and re-align it. (if you haven't done that recently, like in the last couple 2 or 3 years, you should probably do it anyway)

When you replace the plug, put some good plumbing pipe dope on it and don't tighten it too tight! There isn't a LOT of pressure there........it just needs to be tight enough to not leak and/or back itself out..........and with a plastic plug that's not very tight!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

That looks more like cool-fuel than power steering .Best to completely remove it to a bench for repair

TilliamWe

Banned

I broke the exact same one off in mine. No need to heat it or anything. Here is/was my extractor:
MVC-003S.jpg

MVC-002S-1.jpg

The threads have no clamping force without the wings and the rubber gasket on the plug. Get it to turn a little, and it'll fall right out.

e10

Seaman Apprentice

Try the square tapered ez outs, they are not in there that tight.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with e10
ez out and you might waht to use a rachet with universal fittings
I have a rachet that has a universal head that would allow you to do a 180 deg. with the ez out

Harry

RichRab

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just curious--Did you run anti-freeze through when boat was winterized? If you did why did you try to take plug out?

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just curious--Did you run anti-freeze through when boat was winterized? If you did why did you try to take plug out?

No, I just drained everything the normal way. No need for antifreeze if you drain it properly . Just like Don says "Air Doesn't freeze" . Anyways, I have some time right now and the sun is out. I'm going to fix this today. I want to go boating!

Bob Bailey

Recruit
I had the head of a plug break off - got the threads out with combination of short handled phillips screwdriver/lighter, and a stout dental pick with a mirror.

Just ordered stainless steel plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.