How to remove 1960's Attwood 15 inch steering wheel

shelton

Cadet
How do I remove and dismantle a 1960's Attwood 15 inch steering wheel (pulley system steering). I have removed the center nut and the cables were cut. Is there a diagram? Shelton

airshot

Rear Admiral
Probably corroded, try a puller, they can be a bit#h to get off !!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Make yourself a knocker. Find two nuts, same size and thread as the steering shaft (probably 1/2-20), and a bolt also same thread. Run one nut up on the bolt, and the second one on only a couple of threads, then run the first nut back down against the second one and jam them together. You have just made yourself a special tool. To use, thread the tool onto the steering shaft and get that husky friend of yours, the one with no neck, and have him pull mightily on the steering wheel as if trying to pull it off while you give a whack or two on the end of the knocker with a hammer. The wheel should pop off.Flywheel Knocker.jpg off.

shelton

Cadet
Thanks for your suggestions/pics. Difficult is right. Took it to a boat repair shop with a very experienced mechanic (my age---old). Steering wheel is off but threads are cross-threaded. He may be able to replace threaded part (1960-62 Attwood 15 inch two tone white/powder blue steering wheel, with "gold" plastic center but missing the Attwood "A" center emblem). I'll post pics when and if I get it working. Shelton