HOW TO PULL A BOBHOUSE

mar t gray

Cadet
i have a 6x6 wooden bobhouse that i need to tow out on the ice (no i haven't got ice yet)i'm looking at a 4wheeler to do the pulling the bh wt's close to 400 i a little over 200 so what size 4wheeler do you think i would need to pull 600lb's<br />250cc<br />300cc<br />400cc<br />500cc<br />600cc<br />ty<br />marty

NathanY

Commander
Re: HOW TO PULL A BOBHOUSE

My 1996 Foreman 400 has a towing cap of 1000lbs, and is fulltime 4x4. Would be a great choice.

gaugeguy

Captain

Hi Marty,<br />My bobhouse is 8x8 on 2x12 runners and weighs about 600 pounds. I have pulled it with my 500cc wheeler with no problems at all. You could get away with even a smaller wheeler if you build yourself a set of skis to put your shacks runners into. <br /><br />I use 1x8x10 oak boards that I melt wax onto one side with an iron. Place guides onto the boards so they lock onto your shacks runners. I use some formed 1/4" aluminum for the front of the skis so they will ride up and over any snow pack.<br />Using this set-up, a kids 90cc wheeler could pull the house...really ;) <br /><br />And the best thing about the skis is other people see them and will pay you to yank their houses out onto the ice. I have made over $400 ($10 a house) in a weekend yanking out houses.

mar t gray

Cadet

Gaugeguy would you be so kind as to have a photo of this set-up as I am fairly handy and a photo would go a long way to my duplicating your set-up<br />ty<br />marty

gaugeguy

Captain

You want me to dig them out and take a picture? ;) <br /><br />I'll see what I can do...I actually got the plans for them online a few years ago, I'll check and see if I can find the link.

gaugeguy

Captain

Here ya go...if you can't find info on how to build the skis let me know and I'll dig them out (still 3 months till hard water) ;) <br /><br />www.iceshanty.com

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you in Snow country there are allot of options... Get old snow skis at a yard sail and attach them or the old snowmobile runners that attach under the front skis. Just be sure to anchor your shanty or the wind could move it when it is mounted on skis.<br /><br />A 400cc will drag almost anything on ice to include a pick-up truck. Traction with chains helps out.<br /><br />Darn... why are we thinking of 3 feet of ice now! <br /><br />Bob

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is probably a stupid question, but not ever really having seen ice fishing or anything...how do you stop a bobhouse on skis on ice when towing? I just get this funny picture in my head of a 4wheeler dragging along a shed then stopping with a big thud as 600 lbs. hits it. Is that really how you do it?

gaugeguy

Captain

Exactly Ol'Norse. It's really tricky when there is no snow on the ice and I have a tail wind. I use about a 20' rope between my wheeler(or sled) and when I get just about where I want it I slow down. ;)

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL. Thanks. Still laughing at that image! ;) :D

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

just gota make sure your pulling up hill when you stop so the rope stays tight. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Pascal...do you get allot of "uphill ice" on your lakes???? LOL<br /><br />Bob

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

...ever seen a preasure crack that turned into a 'heave hill' ... :D <br /><br />I have to add that biggers better in my opinion. <br /><br />... never have I heard someone say, "GEE Wally, I wish I would've bought something smaller and less powerful..." :eek:

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

LOL. Thanks. Still laughing at that image
Me too! I hadn't thought of that, but good question Norse.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

I use 6x6's with lag bolts and a rigid hitch no rope.....I heard it was 31 degrees up north last night...I know I'm sick..

mar t gray

Cadet

yeah i thought water sought is on plan and was about as level a plan as you can get i sure hope thats the case if not then i'll be needing to adjust my tip-ups acordingly LOL<br /><br />GAUGEGUY ))))))) I COULDN'T FIND THE THREAD ABOUT THE SLED YOU MENTIONED SO IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO DIG TO FAR FOR THEM I'D LOVE TO SEE PICS OF IT.<br /><br />TY<br />MARTY

gaugeguy

Captain

OK Marty, I'll pull them out tonight and take some pics.

gaugeguy

Captain

Marty, zip me an email I have sketched out a set of plans for some skis that I will send to you.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Ol' Norse:<br /> LOL. Thanks. Still laughing at that image! ;) :D
LOL<br />Reminds me of a book. They Shoot Canoes, Don't They? by Patrick F. McManus.<br /><br />Part of it had to do with a ice fishing shack and high winds! :eek: