How to proceed?

thresher15

Cadet
1996 Johnson Ocean Runner 150 hp

Got word from a mechanic that my motor has blown a head gasket and as a result my #2 cylinder only pulls 20 psi. He did not pull the engine apart as my boat was still in the water and he wanted me to be able idle to the ramp and pull it out. Oddly (to me), the motor seems start and run fine, no alarms, turns 5300 rpms. The day it acted up it ran fine then suddenly lost power with no alarms. Started right back up, ran fine for 200 yards, lost power again and idled terrible. Took it out the next day and it ran like normal for about ten miles. But, the mechanic says she's toast and not to run it. He does not rebuild or sell motors or power heads nor does he install them.

So , I am seeking advice as to the best and most cost effective (cheapest but reliable) way to proceed. This boat/motor is 12 years old. Both are neat as pin (well, the motor is immaculate except for this, around 500 hours) and the boat has plenty of life left (1997 Maycraft CC). I do not have the money for a brand new motor :( Should I rebuild, buy a new power head or look for a used motor? Again, money is tight but I don't want problem after problem because I'm trying to save a buck. The mechanic says rebuilding this one or buying a used one is a poor option and recommends a new motor (which he does not sell). Would like to hear opinions, thanks.

iwombat

Captain
Re: How to proceed?

Replacing a blown head gasket is a very simple and fairly routine job. Not sure why that warrants a "toast" diagnosis.

thresher15

Cadet

Wombat,
I think it has something to do with only pulling 20 psi on that one cylinder? He believes the ring broke and I guess damaged the piston and cylinder and perhaps a bearing will eventually seize. Perhaps I should take it in for a second opinion?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Those motors don't have head gaskets. Sounds like he may be guessing. You still may have piston / cylinder damage but I'd be looking for someone more familiar with that motor. Do a compression test yourself when you get it home. If needed, pull the head and take a peek.

iwombat

Captain

Dhadley, that was my next bit of research - looper or crossflow. Thanks for saving me the lookup.

While 20psi isn't promising, it'd be tough to declare toastedness w/o opening it up and taking a peek.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Toatlly agree. While things are not looking promising it'd be prudent to look once the compression (or lack there of) is confirmed. The losing power / bad idle scenario doesn't sound good. For some reason when those motors have a cooling issue the #2 piston seems to take a hit frequently.

thresher15

Cadet

Thanks guys. In the mechanics defense, he did say there is no gasket but individual o-rings. I called the dealer I used to use all the time before I moved and asked them if they would assess it for me. They close for the holidays so in the meantime I may pull the head and take a look for myself unless doing so will make it harder for them to assess.

iwombat

Captain

Pull it and peek. Can't really do much harm.

thresher15

Cadet

PB150093.jpg

PB150102.jpg

PB150101.jpg

PB150100.jpg

rupertmja

Seaman

It looks OK - maybe you should try just rebuilding it with new gaskets/o-rings.

iwombat

Captain

I'd say it looks fair. What concerns me is the discoloured spot on the lower right. How rough is it? Can you drag your fingernail across it w/o filing it down?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I dont like the 4 oclock position,looks like aluminum.Maybe just a stuck ring and the piston left a little.You might get some new orings ,check comp.If its ok.Give it a shot.You might also decarb.

iwombat

Captain

4-o'clock position is what I was talking about too. Tough to tell from the picture, but that looks like a potential problem.

thresher15

Cadet

I'll have to go out and take a look at the 4 o'clock again, I don't recall what it looked/felt like specifically. The scratches at 6 to 6:30 were deep enough to catch your fingernail.

Guys, what would cause this, a water leak? What is repairable? I wish I knew more about this stuff. Thanks for your input, I'm learning a lot from this experience

thresher15

Cadet

One more question, what do you think about the amount of carbon, is that typical?

iwombat

Captain

The amount of carbon looks normal to me.

The cause could be a lot of things, most likely an overheat or a lean condition in that cylinder. Water intrusion would have steam-cleaned that hole.