How to Patch Hole in Transom?

SAGE9

Cadet
I have a screw hole in my transom below the water line where the support arm of a swim platform used to bolt in. What is the best way to patch this? Any ideas?<br /><br />Thanks so much.

crab bait

Captain
Re: How to Patch Hole in Transom?

bore out hole to next dowel rod size ( or two ).. cut an epoxy glue ( real good ) in hole .. push in/recess dowel rod a few fractions an skim over 'recess' with marine tex epoxy .. available at any boat store.

studlymandingo

Commander

I patched a similar hole in my old boat with 3M 5200. It was still there 2 years later when I sold the boat.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

On my aluminum boat, I've put a washer w/ rubber washer on each side of the hole, run a bolt and lock nut through it, and tightened it. Pretty much permanent and effective. I use SS hardware.

SAGE9

Cadet

All great ideas. Think I'll start with the marine sealant and see how that goes. Thanks guys.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

Using marine sealant amounts to "plugging" the hole. It may work just fine (though you'd probably not know different) ... or not (though you'd probably not know that, either). Two things happen with partial repairs - one is nothing, and that's a good thing; one is bad, which puts the odds of a favorable outcome at 50-50. Do it right the first time ...

SAGE9

Cadet

Old Curmudgeon - what do you suggest as the correct way to do it? I'm all for doing the job properly. Thanks.

JRJ

Commander

crab bait gave you the correct method ;) Good luck.