How to move an OB engine w/Jack Plate?

legend602

Cadet
What is the easiest way to move an engine on a non-hydralic jack plate? I need to move it down a notch or two on the jack plate. On the other Mercs we have, there is a loop on the top used to attach to a come-along or something similar to lift the engine up. On my engine, it doesn't have anything like that, so I have no idea how to lift this thing properly...<br /><br />It's a 2001 Nitro NX 882 with a 2001 Mercury 150HP outboard engine....<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mike Carlson

ehenry

Commander
Re: How to move an OB engine w/Jack Plate?

you say you're lowering the engine? If so, and I may be totally wrong with this, but why couldn't you put a floor jack under the lower unit to hold it up while you loosen the bolts then lower the jack the desired amount then tighten the bolts back up.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Doesn't your jackplate have threaded rods for adjustment? Be sure to score a line on the old position in case you have to return it there.<br /><br />Bob

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mike,<br />Never seen your engine, but I'll bet the fly wheel has a 3 or 4 bolt pattern around the center, Merc makes a lifting eye that bolts right up to it. If memory serves, they are metric threads, i simply drilled a pc of flat iron and welded a hook in the center to make my own lifting eye. Pick it up here, all will be centered and balanced and you won't drop it and break your skeg.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What brand of jackplate do you have? It is odd, as Bob says, to see one that doesn't have an adjustment.<br /><br />Good luck!

legend602

Cadet

It's the one that came with the 2001 Nitro NX 882 that I bought. I haven't found anything to easily adjust the heighth of the engine. I can only find one way to make the engine lower/higher. The jackplate mounts to the transom. The engine mounts to a plate. That plate mounts to the jackplate. To lower the engine, you have to take out the bolts, lower that plate (Which is attached to the engine) and then put the bolts back in. It's not a very good design at all... I think in a couple of months I'm going to buy a hydralic jackplate that I can control. I'm not sure if it would actually be worth it once I get the engine where I want it, though....<br /><br />I think what I'm going to try, is to put some bricks with wood on top underneath the lower unit (On either side of the skeg). Rest it there, take the bolts out, and use the jack on the trailor hitch to lower the front of the trailor (Raising the back of it) and then put the bolts back in... <br /><br />I hope this way works... :) <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mike Carlson

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mike,<br /><br />That's the way I do it. Make sure you have somebody to steady the motor while you're jacking the trailer tongue.

legend602

Cadet

On that engine, I had to take the cover off the flywheel, and there was a yellow plastic cap in the middle. Once I took that off, it looked like the threaded end of a pipe. So we connected the other half (That threads onto it, and has a loop on the top of it) and attached that to the comealong, and used that to hold the engine, and lower it. It worked QUITE well. I didn't realize that you were supposed to attach it under that cap...<br /><br />Thanks for the help!<br />Mike Carlson