How to mount a trolling motor to Bayliner hull

MEDEL514

Cadet
Hello everyone, I have a Bayliner 185 that my son and I like to do fishing on. We like to hit some shallow spots and I could really use a trolling motor to get around those areas. I can't figure out how I'm supposed to mount a trolling motor to the nose of the boat, and wondering of there's some place else its supposed to be mounted. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bayliners generally are not fishing boats. they are a get wet and sit in the sun with a bucket of suds boat.

you may have to custom make a mount for the bow of your boat.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I can't figure out how I'm supposed to mount a trolling motor to the nose of the boat, and wondering of there's some place else its supposed to be mounted.
It varies by trolling motor, but most are mounted on a folding bracket that extends out and down from the bow.

Google “bow mount” trolling motor mounts. Lots of different types pop up

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Normal scenario,
Most people make a plate to mount to the bow, or gunnel if you have a bowrider. Motor (or puck, if using a quick disconnect) gets mounted to the plate. 3/4" starboard or 1/2" aluminum plates are common. Every boat is different, you need to get creative. They make slide mounts that allow you to slide the motor forward 7" to 12" before deploying. They also make mounting plates that swivel before you deploy. You need to do your research and install what's best for your application
bow.jpg

briangcc

Commander
What year Bayliner? I ask as some of their smaller boats - 17-19' - have fishing packages that include trolling motors so a mount *may* already be available. You'd need to check with a marina to confirm.

Otherwise, probably nothing special beyond a "plate" bolted to the cap of the boat which in turn holds the mount for the trolling motor.

Many, many moons ago Minn Kota used to sell a trolling motor that mounted to the cav plate on I/O's. You *might* find one 2nd hand.