How to mount a bridge rectifier?

jeast

Cadet
i upgraded to the bridge rectifier on my 1978 1150 but its hanging loose and seems to get hot quick. is this because it isnt mounted and any suggestions on mount are appreciated. thank you

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to mount a bridge rectifier?

yes, need to be mounted to metal not plastic need some heat sink putty between metal and rectifier... most of these have a hole thru the center for bolt/screw

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

which rectifier did you get radio shack or mouser mouser has the hole i mentioned

jeast

Cadet

what does the heat sink putty do? does radio shack sell that

The heat sink putty is a strong conductor of heat , and its main purpose is to fill the voids between the base of the rectifier and the surface you are conducting the heat to, like for example an aluminum plate.
And yes you can buy it at radio shack although in some stores it is a catalog item.
Brian Evans.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jeast, I mounted my RS bridge to the cowling support, above the switchbox, where the OEM Rectifier had been. It was a single 3/32 bolt and locknot. Make sure the -DC terminal is grounded to the engine block or frame.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might be able to find the heatsink from an old computer processor that you could adapt for your purposes there.Everything after the i486 used them.Ron G

j_martin

Admiral

You can drill and thread a hole in the switchbox plate where the original was, or you can mount it to a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum plate the size of the original rectifier with a single flat head screw(head to the back). Drill the plate to mount where the original was with the original screws.

Either way works, and either way is reasonably servicable.

It must be mounted to metal to dissipate heat.

hope it helps]
John