How to make trailer pads slicker?

mhlbnghm

Seaman
My favorite launch is very steep, making a simple retrieval difficult. Due to holes at the bottom of the ramp I cannot back in as much as needed, by about 2-3 ft. Is there a product that can be sprayed onto the pads to make them slicker so getting the boat on properly is eaiser? Was thinking about using 'PAM' or the like but not sure if that might not stain the glass over time.
Boat is a 18'8" Triton w/ 150 Merc.

Tks, Mike

Expidia

Commander
Re: How to make trailer pads slicker?

They make the spray stuff but it wears off quickly. You would be better off with these:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1072____SearchResults

Here is the spray stuff:
http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=4614

But be advised that using either will make your set up much more dangerous when you take away the friction of those bunks.

On an incline, someone could be standing behind the boat and if you released the winch they are going to eat that boat.

Also, forget to use a tie down and jump on the highway that boat will become that much easier to fly off the trailer if the winch was not hooked up or the strap broke and you didn't have a safety chain hooked up.

Sometimes friction can be your friend!

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You could try Dry Silicone spray. Wal-mart or any auto parts store will have it.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

dish soap
or install teflon pads to the bunks. they work great. i used them to dry launch a 19' Carolina skiff.

skargo

Banned

Wax. It has the added benefit of waxing your hull where you normally can't reach.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It helps to wet the bunks.

I have also used wd-40 on the carpet, and its pretty cheap if you buy it in the 1 gallon can.

I have seen people use a bar of ivory soap, rubbed into the bunk carpet, then slightly wetted. It will last for a few launch/retrievals, well longer in your case as you are not backing them under the water.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Liquid Rollers. Do a search until you find it.

I have used it and it works perfectly. You will have to reappply as needed. I will tell you that I've never had to reapply on mine but that could also be that my bunks have taken shape thus allowing my boat to slide in easier. It is a cinch to apply, maybe 5 minutes as it comes in a spray can identical to spray paint and applied just the same as spray painting, but on your bunks. I applied mine after I launched one time and parked my vehicle. Just took advantage and sprayed all of the bunks while the trailer was empty right before heading to my boat in the water. Hope this helps.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 on liquid rollers
West marine has it.
You need to reapply it every 6 months.
Just read the instructions and follow them.
Product works as advertised.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Nice variety of ideas here.

mhlbnghm

Seaman

Thanks for all the thoughts & ideas. Think 1st thing I'll do is to meander over to West Marine and p/u a can of Liq. Rollers and give it a try.

Tks again, Mike

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use Lemon Pledge or a similar furniture polish product from the dollar store. I don't like the bunks too slippery...when the boat is on the trailer on the highway, as another poster suggests, friction is your friend.

mhlbnghm

Seaman

Well, here's what I did! Bought a can of Liquid Wrench Silicone Spray Lubricant @ Wal-Mart. Launched the boaqt then took the trailer back to our cabin. Next day when the pads were dry I sprayed them down pretty good with the L/W. Loaded up to come home yesterday and the boat slid up on the trailer like magic!:D Not sure how long this will last but it's almost woth the $3 bucks a can if I have to use it every time (figure I used about a 1/2 can but pr5obably too much).
I'm sure there are other/better ways but this worked pretty dang well.

Tks for the tips!

Mike