how to keep ties in storage clean

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have alot of ties hanging on a rack on my wall ,,,they are not creased cause they are hanging ,but they are dusty ...im concerned that the dust will cause discolorment.....any advice on longterm storage of ties ...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to keep ties in storage clean

Vacume them, or use compressed air to blow them off.<br /><br />Sun/UV fading would be more of a concern to me.

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how to keep ties in storage clean

NEVER hang ties. Always roll them and this will remove any wrinkles from the knots. Rolled ties should be kept in a drawer and that will prevent them from collecting dust.<br /><br />Some folks like to leave them tied and just slip them over their head and hang them on a rack. That is not good for the tie in the long run; reducing its life.<br /><br />I have tried soaking them in Woolite, rinsing them in clear water, laying them on a towel to dry horrizontally, then pressing them. I've discovered this works on cheap ties but destroys the shape of expensive silk ties. After destroying 6 expensive silk ties, I have decided that it is cheaper to have them professionally cleaned by a dry cleaner. Here in Spain it cost about three euros to have a tie cleaned. I have them cleaned about twice a year and keep them rolled between wearings.