How to keep rodents away from boat.

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm getting to put my boat in a storage building that is not heated and appears to be rodent free. I am probably being paranoid but i was wondering what you guys do to make sure no rodents will want to take up residence in the boat. I have seen what they can do and it can get pretty ugly. I've heard of putting moth balls in the boat,,,,,does that work?
Thanks in advance
Tom

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to keep rodents away from boat.

Mine is stored outdoors. I let the feral cats nest in it! ---never any rodent problem.

NYBo

Admiral

Moth balls don't work reliably.

This ought to do it:
angry-cat.jpg

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

My buddy uses moth balls and they seem to work. I buy a big box of dryer sheets from Sam's club and spread them all over the interior (under seats, engine area, etc). I put mouse traps in every compartment and the deck area. I also put a couple boxes of decon on the inside to top it off. I put steel wool in the live well openings. I then use aluminum tape on the end of the propeller so they cannot nest in there. I also run a "trap line" around the exterior of the boat on the ground.

Zerbel04

Seaman

I'll be storing mine in the cold snowy Canadian outdoors. I put bounce sheets in the compartments as I've heard they repel rodents (and keep boat smelling fresh as opposed to moth balls). I also put a tray of poison on the floor. This will be my first winter with a boat so can't say my method is foolproof but it has worked on my RV for years.

Willyclay

Captain

I have used moth balls and they seemed to work. The problem with our cats was they also dragged the remains of whatever else they killed into the boat. My Admiral thinks just putting cat hair around the boat will deter the rodents. Good luck!

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

T_Herrod, You might try a product called Fresh Cab. It is not toxic to any animals and is designed to deter rodents. This product smells much better than moth balls and I have heard good things about the product. It is designed for campers, boats and any area where mice can be a problem. I have cats and dogs among many other pets and it is important to me that there is no chance a pet of mine might get in to those deadly d-con products. I think you can get it at Rural King and Menards. They come 4 pouches in a box for $15.00 or less. Good luck.

oldjeep

Admiral

I just surround mine with boxes of DCON on the floor of the garage - never put bait inside the boat. I also open up the floor compartment, battery box compartment and the bow compartments so that there is not a cozy place to call home.

Never had any issues with mice in the boat, but we find plenty of their dead in the garage.

Jeep Man

Commander

I usually just put dryer sheets all over the boat. Most poisons are an attractant. More likely to draw the rodents onboard and then you end up with a few dead bodies laying around. Baited traps do the same except you can find the bodies easier.

Moody Blue

Captain

I've tried the mothballs and fabric softener sheets in the past, both in the camper and the boat with seemingly good results UNTIL this past winter. When uncovering the boat in the spring I discovered that a racoon(s) had made the boat a home base over the winter. There was hair, urine and crap all over the place but the only physical damage was some chewed floatation foam. I ended up trapping 5 racoons. Apparently mothballs and fabric softener are NOT a deterent for racoons.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have tried mothballs in the past to keep rodents out of my classic cars that I store in my garage. They end up stinking up my cars. My neighbor uses a rat zapper so I bought one. Problem solved.

Someone recently told me that chlorine tablets such as used in pools, keep the mice away. Just place them around where mice frequent,

Jeep Man

Commander

I've tried the mothballs and fabric softener sheets in the past, both in the camper and the boat with seemingly good results UNTIL this past winter. When uncovering the boat in the spring I discovered that a racoon(s) had made the boat a home base over the winter. There was hair, urine and crap all over the place but the only physical damage was some chewed floatation foam. I ended up trapping 5 racoons. Apparently mothballs and fabric softener are NOT a deterent for racoons.
Dryer sheets are effective for mice. In my experience, squirrels, chipmunks, and racoons aren't bothered by it.

markheck1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

T_Herrod, You might try a product called Fresh Cab. It is not toxic to any animals and is designed to deter rodents. This product smells much better than moth balls and I have heard good things about the product. It is designed for campers, boats and any area where mice can be a problem. I have cats and dogs among many other pets and it is important to me that there is no chance a pet of mine might get in to those deadly d-con products. I think you can get it at Rural King and Menards. They come 4 pouches in a box for $15.00 or less. Good luck.

We sell this stuff at work and have had pretty good feedback on it, got lots of repeat customers,

FWIW there used to be cats roaming around the shop where I store my Boat....dang thing had kittens in the boat :eek:
found them out on the lake while switching people on the tube :facepalm: