How to install a new fuel line and primer ball

mcgill

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I just purchased new fuel line and a new primer ball. What is the best way to install, the new unit so that the engine will not starve for fuel and that it is being installed. According to a primer ball functions

Also what is the primer ball job when the engine is actually running. Is there any job that it still does when the engine is underway.

Thank you

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How to install a new fuel line and primer ball

The ball will likely have an arrow embossed on it, that's the direction of fuel flow. It doesn't do anything while the motor is running, and often doesn't do anything if the engine is fuel injected ... ;)

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Intsall the primer ball after your main in-line fuel/water sepperator, make sure all connections are tight so no air gets in and be sure to use stainless steel hose clamps. The only thing the ball does is to prime the engine, once started, your fuel pump takes care of pumping the fuel.

Red

robert graham

Admiral

Primer bulb is simply a hand-operated, one-way fuel pump, with a ball check valve in each end so it pumps one way and sucks the other way. I have mine installed between the fuel tank and the fuel/water separator, so when I drain the separator I can fill it back up by pumping the ball(priming).
Mount primer bulb with arrow in the direction of fuel flow(towards motor). Good Luck!