How to handle a "small town" problem

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class
I live in a major Canadian City (Winnipeg, Manitoba) about 2.5 hours away from the summer cottage area of Kenora, Ontario.
My family and I go to our cottage every weekend that we can. We are going to retire there in a couple of years, consequently we are trying to get to know the local folks, use the local businesses and make da-n sure we don't badmouth anyone, mindful of the "thats probably their cousin we are talking about" or "what we say to "A" about "B" will likely get repeated until "B" hears about it".
With all this in mind I took my Stihl weedwacker to a local business to get the pull cord replaced (I would usually take it to Winnipeg but...) anyway I was told it would be a cheap repair and take only a day or two.
Since we only come up on weekends I said I would pick it up next week.
Yesterday I got a call from the business saying I could pick it up, I explained I didn't live there (you would think they would catch on since it a different area code) and asked about the bill expecting about $20.
I was told $80... when I squawked and asked how a "cheap" pull cord job turned into $80 I was told they had...
-changed the pull cord
-replaced the fuel line (carb to tank)
-replaced the fuel filter
-replaced a lever (couldn't tell me what lever)
-replaced the carb needle valve
-tuned it up
I asked to speak to the boss, at that point the lady I was speaking to said she was the boss and that it was running poorly so they "fixed it up".
When I explained that I had used it all day prior to bring it in to them and it was running great I was told NO!! THE FUEL LINE WAS LEAKING AND THIS WORK NEEDED TO BE DONE!
I know I need to keep these folks on my "good list" since they are only a mile from my place and there aren't a lot of local options (and all the preamble reasons) so I didn't blow up.
Instead I tried to explain that at the very least it would have been proper to CALL ME AND NOTIFY ME OF THE ADDITIONAL WORK BEFORE STARTING IT.
She got real huffy and told me fine she would put the old parts back on (including the fuel line that would have a hole in it now to back up her story I was sure).
I said NO leave it the way it was that I would drop in top the shop on my next trip into town and talk about it. I remained calm and suggested she not get wound up about it, because I wasn't (I was but I didn't want her to know!).
Anyway, I got to go get my weedwacker next week.

How do I handle this?

This has GOT TO BE A WIN WIN since I have to live with these folks BUT I DON'T WANT TO GET SCREWED!

I need some savy advise beyond tell them to get stuffed!

ps; I posted here because I have read some insightful replies from many folks and the likelihood of a local (my world) reading this is slim.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to handle a "small town" problem

I think you're probably on the hook for the $80 this time.

I have a fishing place in an area that labels people as "come heres".

When you deal with the local businesses you have to be very careful, because they regard your patronage as the right of free plunder.

There are a lot of good folks who live there, but you have to keep your eyes open all the time.

Chances are the locals get treated once in a while by this business the same way, so you will have allies when you get to know the neighborhood better.

Jinx

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Possibly a cheap lesson for 80$. All that Jinx said is likely true but next time you have any work done, by anyone there, just ask them for one of their work orders and you write down exactly what you want done.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You can buy a new weedwacker for 80 usd.

Just play "stupid city folk" and tell her you arent used to people looking out for you like that.

Thank her, pay her the 80, and take it as a lesson learned.

Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Like many city folk you seem quick to suspect a conspiracy to rip you off. Consider that their motive was to go an extra mile to be sure you had a perfect running machine.

Try this:

"I was really surprised by your bill because it seemed to me to be running pretty well before I brought it in. I do appreciate you taking the time to be sure everything is correct.

I would have preferred that you call me to get authorization to do the extra work. I might decide to not do expensive work that I have not planned or budgeted for."

Pay the $80. It is always a good idea to agree in writing with others about what is to be done and what it will cost. A standard work order usually does that, and further requires specific authorization for any additional work.

You are wise to avoid an adversary relationship with a local merchant. That could turn into an adversary relationship with the entire community. Trust is as important in small communities as it is absent in big cities.

treedancer

Commander

I don?t know about Canada, but in the Missouri Ozarks, it gets rather clannish at times, you say your planning on retiring there, be a good idea to stay on the friendly side of the locals. Here it takes about three, or four years ,before they consider you local, and stop screwing you.

jasonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe the shop owner realized she should have called you when things went beyond the pull string replacement. Her "huffy" response indicated that to me. My advice would be to return to the shop, smile and be gracious about the top notch tune-up performed, and negotiate a lower price of say 50-60 bucks for the tune up as opposed to re-installing the old parts.

I can respect your desire to establish a favorable position among your soon to be neighbors, however I'd rather be seen as assertive than an easy mark or soft touch.

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great ideas and thoughts...just so you know I DID get a work order with it clearly spelled out....replace starter cord.....that was ALL that was on the work order.
This is the biggest machine shop. ATV dealer, small engine dealer in the area and they have a pretty good reputation. I did notice that all the other customers were greeted with names and personal conversations were long and involved before they got to me...the outsider...
I come from a small town in Nova Scotia so I get it....
and thats why I'm trying not to rip these boobs a new a-- hole.
I have resolved to pay the bill and use JB's tactic....

thanks all.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Being from a small town mysef, I may be able to shed a different thought. Often in a small town where everyone knows each other, there is an understood trust of sorts. If I take my truck to the mechanic (and when possible I still drive the 2 hours back to my hometown to do so), I just toss him the keys, tell him whats wrong, and if he sees anything under a few bucks that needs fixing, he will take care of it. if its over a few bucks he calls. Quite often folks drop stuff off and just tell him to do what needs done and if it is going to be over $XX, let me know first.

Once you get to know these folks, you may find that is how this town operates to some extent..... Or you may have just gotten hosed. Pay the $80 and decide if you will do business at this shop again.

KBADC

Cadet

Screw all that! They took advantage of you!! Plain & simple. If you let them get away with that they will consider you a pushover. You have to get stick to your principles here. I would tell them to remove all the repaired parts as you WILL NOT pay one cent for any repairs at their shop now or in the future.:mad: Who needs dishonest folks for friends/neighbors anyways?! You'll find honest people in the community to be friends with.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, KBADC, I disagree.

If it takes 3 or 4 years normally to be considered a part of the community it will take twenty ot thirty if you start out being hostile to what may be a normal community tradition.

Remember, all those future neighbors may well be relatives of the gal in the shop and are almost certain to be her friends.

KBADC

Cadet

I appreciate your opinion on the situation, however I am a man of morals and if I have to be taken advantage of to be accepted ... No Thanks. I would still take my chances with the "locals" (I think that is being blown out of proportion here) and stand firm with the rip off shop.

ndemge

Commander

That's how the 2 mechanic shops I go to are.... Took little car in last month for a valve job, and a safety inspection... $900 later when I came to pick it up, I find out that the electrical problem that I thought had gone away dind't... There was a loose ground wire at the fuse box (+ ground car), causing havoc on the head lights... 1/2 hour labor on that one. Also a few other minor things that he took care of. This mechanic knows my abilities, and took care of what he was confident I would ask him to take care of. I was happy with everything after I got over the initial sticker shock. (and driving away I look up and see a new oil change sticker, not on the work order, and not on the bill either, just being nice)

My point..... He assumed what I would want done, and he was correct. But if I had not known this person as well as I did, I would have been upset at the non-approved work. I think this person truely did think she was doing the right thing, just try to politly explain to her you'd like a phone call next time... cause by the sound of it, she's going to remember you, and it's gonna be easier if she remembers smiles.

Being from a small town mysef, I may be able to shed a different thought. Often in a small town where everyone knows each other, there is an understood trust of sorts. If I take my truck to the mechanic (and when possible I still drive the 2 hours back to my hometown to do so), I just toss him the keys, tell him whats wrong, and if he sees anything under a few bucks that needs fixing, he will take care of it. if its over a few bucks he calls. Quite often folks drop stuff off and just tell him to do what needs done and if it is going to be over $XX, let me know first.

Once you get to know these folks, you may find that is how this town operates to some extent..... Or you may have just gotten hosed. Pay the $80 and decide if you will do business at this shop again.

aspeck

Staff member

I am agreeing with ndemge & JasonB here. I grew up in a small town car dealership. When working the parts/service counter, it was expected with most of our customers that if we found something wrong with the car, we fixed it. Only a few customers wanted called, or gave us $ figures - most didn't want bothered because they trusted us. And life was good.

However, it would get ugly when we forgot a certain person needed called, or there was a new customer's vehicle in the shop. See, we would know to call, but the mechanics didn't always know the wishes of the customer - only what we told them. So if we were busy, they would grab a part, write it on the repair order, and we were left to deal with the customer. Some bills we ate, some we compromised, some the customer paid, it was all about reading the customer and building trust.

The nicest customers are the ones that got more "freebees" added to the work order than anyone else. The squeaky wheel might get the grease, but the polite and kind one gets the consideration.

What am I saying, go in and test the waters. You will probably be able to tell if they were trying to be nice or hosing you. If hosing, it might be in your best interests to suggest they bring the price down a bit since they didn't call, and if not, pay the bill and lesson learned - don't go back again. You don't need to tell anyone why - except the owner years from now when you are a "townie" instead of an "outsider."

Good luck, be gracious, and remember that small towns are the greatest, once you break the "inner circle."

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've received some great insight and advise from some folks that "have been there and understand how complex a little issue can be in a small town"...

like I said I will be paying the bill and hopefully making a friend while I politely make the point about "a phone call to authorize/notify me about the additional work".

Kenora is a great place to visit and live and I would hate to alienate myself, even if I'm right, by raising a stink with these folks and then (by relation or acquaintance) from others who I'm sure would hear the story about this "loony Toban" (the local slang for Manitobans).

KBDAC; nice to see another Toban on the board, but I have plans of living out there so I will have to take a more balanced path.

Skinnywater

Commander

I own a Sthil weedeater, it can't be bought for $80usd.

To replace the pull cord you have to disassemble the fuel tank and shroud components.
I keep an extra fuel hose and filter on hand because it is a common failure.
The hose/filter probably disintegrated when they disassembled the unit.
In the course of removing the filter/hose some of the debris probably got caught in the needle valve.
The cord costs money and the labour does also.

The parts are probably OEM imported from Sweden, one to two hours labour.
Pay the bill and thank them SINCERELY for working on it like it was their own.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Skinny is right. I also own a Stihl trimmer that I bought 4 years ago, It is a lower mid-range model and it was $300+tax back then. Best trimmer I've ever owned.. An $80 repair might not be too far out. Last time I looked, a replacement air filter sponge was like $10. I boughta pull cord for my lasy Ryobiu trimmer and it cost about $25 and took me over an hour to get installed.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Back in the olden days, when I wrenched lawnmowers and such for a living (for my favorite Aunt up in Kenora ;)), I learned that starters usually break because there's a problem starting the da-n thing. A concientious mechanic will invest time to fix the da-n thing rather than keep replacing broken ropes every few weeks. Believe it or not, in the long run, they almost certainly saved you money. :)

I dunno about Canada, but a lot of cell phones down here use other-than-local area codes. :eek:

(Okay, I confess. I've never been to Kenora. :D)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Like many city folk you seem quick to suspect a conspiracy to rip you off. Consider that their motive was to go an extra mile to be sure you had a perfect running machine.

Try this:

"I was really surprised by your bill because it seemed to me to be running pretty well before I brought it in. I do appreciate you taking the time to be sure everything is correct.

I would have preferred that you call me to get authorization to do the extra work. I might decide to not do expensive work that I have not planned or budgeted for."

Pay the $80. It is always a good idea to agree in writing with others about what is to be done and what it will cost. A standard work order usually does that, and further requires specific authorization for any additional work.

You are wise to avoid an adversary relationship with a local merchant. That could turn into an adversary relationship with the entire community. Trust is as important in small communities as it is absent in big cities.

Ah! JB, always the diplomat and the peacemaker.:D Good advice!

rmmpe

Petty Officer 1st Class

$80.00 is not an expensive tuition fee.

Also, her getting indignant might also be an indicator of her feeling that they were just looking out for your safety and well being. If so, her response just might be an understandable but unjustified reaction to an assumed question of their integrity.

If it were me, I'd pay the money while smiling and consider it a lesson learned that I should perhaps be more specific the next time.

It is a small town and a hostile reaction will be noted and spoken of.