How to force petrol prices down

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Mate just sent me this idea in an email originating from the US. Sorry if it's been around before, but it's the first I've heard of it.<br /><br />Idea is that consumers target two of the major oil companies and everybody stops buying from those two. After a while they're forced to drop prices to recover trade, which pulls the others' prices down.<br /><br />Interesting idea.<br /><br />Would have to make sure the targets weren't the major suppliers to the rest of the market or they'd still be making their money from wholesale and try to ride it out.<br /><br />Assuming there are any company owned service stations, it would be best if they were targeted so that small business operators didn't suffer and the message got through direct to the companies.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: How to force petrol prices down

Yeah, it's been doing the rounds for a few years.<br /><br />In Australia there are very few truly independent retailers, the big two suppliers use the wholesale price to dictate the retail price. They know what percentage the service station owner needs to add to survive. <br /><br />Look at what shell's doing at the moment, 4 cents off and they don't add it on to begin with. No other retailer can come close. Shell subsidise their retail outlets. Woolworths are trying to keep up but the only way they can is to dilute their fuel with ethanol, shell don't.<br /><br />They all colude tink, the govs been after them for years.<br /><br />10 years ago I was well into negotiations to buy an ampol service station, my plan was to run the workshop and employ teenagers to pump the fuel. The workshop would easily provide a good income so I was going to use the bowsers as a draw card only - no profit, sell the fuel at cost plus teenage wages. When ampol got wind of my plan they pulled out of the deal. That was ten years ago, the site subsequently closed and has been closed ever since. I'm still dumbfounded by their reaction. It was a win/win deal all round but they didn't want anyone upsetting their pricing structure - so they closed the damn site down.<br /><br />Aldo

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Oil is a comoddity... Just like iron, copper, cotton, diamonds, etc.<br /><br />It has to do with that 'Supply and Demand' nonsense we've always heard about.<br /><br />The only reason is costs what it does is because people (as a whole) will buy it at that price.<br /><br />...<br /><br />Do you know why gasoline doesn't cost $5,000 a gallon? <br /><br />Its because nobody wants it bad enough to pay that much, in relation to the people who have it will sell it for.<br /><br /><br />Just like diamonds, or electricity, or steel.....<br /><br />Those who have it, sell it for (more or less) what they can get. Those who want it, will only pay so much at one particular point in history for those who have that particular comodity to sell.<br /><br />And the market levels itself..<br /><br />For example:<br /><br />When gas goes up--- people waste and drive less. They are less inclined to crank up a 4,000 pound truck and drive 5 miles to get 1 pack of cigarettes---every day.<br /><br />When jet fuel goes up--- people fly jets less.<br /><br />When diamonds go up--- people buy less of them.<br /><br />When electricity goes up--- less and less people who live in Texas or Nevada leave their thermostat on '55' while they are on vacation for 2 weeks during our Summer.<br /> <br />etc. etc.... etc... <br /><br />Hench,, demand goes down as (high priced) supply remains constant.<br /><br /><br />If you're selling gas, jet fuel, or any other commodity,,,,, the less people buy in relation to how much of it you have-- you lower your price.<br /><br />The more they buy--- you creep it up as high as the market will bear...<br /><br />If you or I will do that with what we have to sell,,,,<br /> <br />How can, or why should anyone expect BP, EXON, Shell Petroleum, the Saudis, OPEC members, the Dutch Diamond merchants, Ford Motor Company, Bethlem Steel, you- doing what you do, or even the kid mowing your yard be any different?<br /><br />////////////////////////////////////////////<br /><br />If you want the price of gasoline to come down---<br /><br />There is only one way to do it---<br /><br /><br />You, me, the govt. and everyone else that uses it-------- needs to buy and consume less in relation to what is being produced.<br /><br /><br />//////////<br /><br />Think of it this way--<br />If nobody needed, or bought gasoline,,,, <br />and it was being produced in the volume it is today, ,,, how much would it would it cost per gallon? <br /><br />Another example:<br />If you had a 1.5 carrot perfect diamond you think is worth $10,000, and nobody wanted it,,,, how much could you sell it for? <br />All of a sudden, it isn't worth $10,000 any more is it?<br /><br />In a nutshell: oil, and everything else works the same way. <br /><br /><br />......................<br /><br />This is another time I wish I was a better wordsmith than what I am.<br /><br />But; I hope I have conveyed my point.<br /><br />Ed.

NYMINUTE

Captain

A gas out was attempted here a while back and it failed miserably. Just can't people to commit. One day of no sales in the US would kill them. It would be hard on the truckers, cab drivers etc. to go without.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

In Minneapolis you could do that, however there is only two gas refineries here and all the money goes to the same pocket. And when everybody does start to buy gas again they retaliate and double or triple the price.

eeboater

Commander

I don't think that no shopping for two gas stations is going to lower the prices at all. In fact, all it is going to do is raise the price at the other stations.<br /><br />Basic economics, supply and demand. If you drop the two major gasoline suppliers and go to the others, that means the demand for gas on the other providers will go up. As a result the supply will go down and the providers will have to raise prices to compensate for it.<br /><br />That email has been flying around for years. I've been trying to quell anyone's thought that it is a good idea, because it wouldn't work.<br /><br />IMO, the real reason the gas prices are the way they are is because of the lack of refinery's. I mean, when is the last time a refinery was built in the USA? Heck, the last thing I heard about a refinery is one BLOWING UP IN TX!!!!! Honestly, it doens't matter if the Saudi's increase their oil, because it doesn't change the number of refineries to process it.<br /><br />Sean

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Where I live there is no choice but to drive. Most people commute from 25 to 50 miles 1 way to work each day. <br />Face it, people drive. If we would have a gas out day like has been proposed many times over the years, the oil companies might see a crunch for a day but tomorow everyone would buy gas to make up for what they missed. For every galon the oil companies lost on one day they would have record sales the next day. <br />This is the way it has been going for many many years. The gas prices run up to an extreme high, then settle down to a high price. When gas was 99 cents a galon, it jumped to 1.25 per galon. Then it settled back down to 1.10. Nobody complained about that 10 cent increase. Then up to 1.50 and fell back to 1.25 and people were happy it went down. Now it just jumped to 2.25 last week. Now it is down to 2.09 and everyone is relieved. <br />When people will pay 2 dollars a galon why should they drop the price below 2 dollars. <br />The only way a gas out would work is if everyone refused to buy gas for a month. But that will never work because people have to drive.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You have to drastically reduce the amount of gas you use. Even then what we in the U.S. don't buy, the nice folks in Asia will. We had a monopoly on petro usage for many years, now we shop at walmart who is raising the Asian economy so now the multitudes in the East are competing for oil...just my opinion...Chief ;)

eeboater

Commander

Chief you are right. 1 out of ever 4 people on planet Earth are chinese. China is becoming more progressive moving from a agricultural to a more industrial/manufacturing society. Citizens are earning more money. They used to be a "biking" society. Now that they have money, what do they want? Cars.<br /><br />I predict that China will surpass the USA as the largest consumer of petroleum.<br /><br />Sean

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

There is plenty of oil, the problem in the USA is that refinery capacity has not increased with the ever growing consumer demand, also there are too many regulations with too many varying blends of gas, and thats where politicians which we vote for and the large oil companies collude.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

eeboater.. you are not wrong when you said that China is going to surpass USA for oil consumption. As it is, China has more oil future contracted for thier future oil useage due to the booming economy.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by Vlad the Impeller:<br /> There is plenty of oil, the problem in the USA is that refinery capacity has not increased with the ever growing consumer demand, also there are too many regulations with too many varying blends of gas, and thats where politicians which we vote for and the large oil companies collude.
I'm thinking that the Oil Companies would open more refineries if certain *COUGH* Green Groups *COUGH* wouldn't protest.<br /><br />Sean

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by eeboater:<br />
Originally posted by Vlad the Impeller:<br /> There is plenty of oil, the problem in the USA is that refinery capacity has not increased with the ever growing consumer demand, also there are too many regulations with too many varying blends of gas, and thats where politicians which we vote for and the large oil companies collude.
I'm thinking that the Oil Companies would open more refineries if certain *COUGH* Green Groups *COUGH* wouldn't protest.<br /> <br /><br />Sean
Geez! I tell ya, if i'm lyin i'm dyin, Hell!! if Jesus really does come back, you know them green folks will protest that too

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I work for the company that owns Gulf Oil (and just bought some Exxons). In the Gulf administration offices there is a picture of a NJ refinery (ya know, the big silo tanks) with a Mobile, Exxon, Gulf, BP and a few other trucks lined up getting filled. All gas is the same and pretty much comes from the same placee...they just put different additives to "brand" them. The gas costs the dealers the same per gallon...believe it or not...we sell gas at only pennies per gallon over cost. Stopping going to say Mobile will not change the cost they have to pay and you can only save .02-.03 cents per gallon if they choose to lower to their cost (then go out of business).<br /><br />-JustMrWill

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

A neighbor at the lake works for a refinery. They close it down for "maintanance or emergency maintainence" at very odd times. Usually when gas prices are going up. Interesting.<br /> There is only so much oil and the more refinery's become available the sooner they will run out. If you were in the oil buisness, would you put yourself out of buisness?