how to fix steering?

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, i have a 1972 sliverline 15' comoro wither 1957 35hp motor. due to the very old steering I can't figure out why i can't turn the motor to the right, anyone firmilair with boat steering that can help, please

Thanks, shane

D

DJ

Re: how to fix steering?

You have to let us know what type of steering you have.

1. Old cable type? A cable coming to each side of the engine?

2. Push/pull cable type. A THICK cable going to ONE side of the engine.

A picture says a thousand words!

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

it is a single cable, and the end to the motor has a threaded pipe apperatus, with the ball joint connection. sorry the only way to explain. I do know it is the original steering for the boat.

And I can't seem to get pics to load up on here.

Thanks, shane

race44

Recruit

Just added a CMC trim/tilt on a 16' 1974 Holiday, the transom mount holding block for the steering cable will not work. I am looking for different styles of holding blocks, where could I find them? I know I know, just modify the one I have, but it really only pivots in one direction. So I was hoping there is a 360 deg ball and socket type. Any help would be great
Thanks
Ken

sasquatchfound

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, I'm still having trouble getting the steering to work right. here are some pics (i hope they help)

Attachments

• boat steering #1.jpg
    boat steering #1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
  • boat steering #2.jpg
    boat steering #2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Disconnect the ball joint from the motor and see if the cable end telescopes in and out of the threaded pipe. Then go from there with the troubleshooting.