How to fix my surge brakes??

libforlife

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1993 201 Four Winns Liberator. I have the matching duel axle trailer that goes with it. The brakes to not work on the trailer. I was wondering what I should start to look at in fixing the issue.

Just as a note, There is no brake fluid in the reservoir at the front of my trailer. It has somehow become full of water.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to fix my surge brakes??

Brake fluid absorbs water or else the neighbor kids did you a favor and filled it up for you. Since the master cylinder is full of water, that means it is very likely full of rust as well. So step #1 if it were my trailer would be to pull each of the wheels and brake drums and see what they look like. If you have a mass of rust in there as well you would need to order the following:

New/rebuilt master cylinder
New/rebuild brake cylinder for each wheel
New brake shoes for each wheel
New hardware kit for each wheel.
Lots of brake fluid

Replace the master cylinder first. Then remove the brake cylinder closest to the master cylinder. Now flush the system using fresh fluid. Install the new brake cylinder, brake shoes and hardware. Repeat for the other wheel. When you have all lines flushed. Open the bleeder screw and bleed each brake cylinder. Keep topping off the master cylinder so you don't run it dry or you pump air in and have to start over.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to fix my surge brakes??

In addition, I had to replace the brake lines.