How to fix a 1973 Mercury 1150!!!

sarconastic

Seaman Apprentice
After two years, a lot less hair, NO boating or skiing and finally succombing to my fathers advice, I fixed my old Mercury 1150. <br /><br />I bought a 1986 Evinrude VRO 110. <br /><br />Been to the lake 3 times this year. Got sun burned, bruised, had father try to kill me with a tube and a long rope. But am having a ball. Its finally great to back on the water.<br /><br />Problem now is I have to start over on the learning curve. I became a mercury Guru from trying to fix it. Now I need to learn Evinrude, but hopeuflly not too much :).<br /><br />Don't take this post as mercury bashing, I have had several that were great, but I beat the last one in the end.<br /><br />Later<br />Sarconastic :p

sarconastic

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How to fix a 1973 Mercury 1150!!!

The Evinrude is running. Been trying to fix the Merc for 2 years, and finally gave up.

phatmanmike

Captain

dude, either you SUCK as a mechanic, or youre drinking too much.<br /><br />ummmmm, what on earth would take TWO years to fix on an old outboard motor with carbs and a distributor. it DOES have a distributor, doesnt it. please dont tell me its ADI

timmathis

Lieutenant

What was or is the problem with the old mercury?

sarconastic

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Phat Mike,, Im thinkin Prob more like FAT MOUTH Mike. I didn't insult you... Till now, so please don't insult me. I took that merc to two Merc Mechs both of which gave me the same song and dance. Give us around a Grand Give or take and we'll fix it. I never claimed to be a Mech. i couldn't see wastin' that kind of money when i could buy a newer motor for a couple hundred more.<br /><br />Nuff Said

sarconastic

Seaman Apprentice

Tim <br /><br />I think we had it down to the ignition. Not pos though. Look back through my old posts and you can follow the thread on it. <br /><br />I am planning on parting out the motor. Everything except the ignition system. To help pay for the new motor. I just havent had time to get things broke down and listed online yet.<br /><br />Later

phatmanmike

Captain

WOW! SOME PEOLPLE JUST DONT GET HUMOR DO THEY.<br /><br />I STILL THINK IT WAS THE DRINKING.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

PMM- knowing your humor, I got it right away, but for someone that does not know you, it was a bit harsh. It just wasn't very obvious that it was meant in just. Kindof like when your wife was drunk and I made a comment to you. Wow, was that 18 months ago? <br /><br />Happy boating to all.