how to fill lower unit

daviddegray

Cadet
The book says to fill the lower unit until iol comes out of the vent hole. Is that the top hole? It seems like it would take a gallon to fill it if that is the case.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how to fill lower unit

Lotsa stuff in there besides oil, Dave.<br /><br />Do it like the book says.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

After draining, you insert a tube of lubricant into the bottom (drain) hole and squeeze until it runs out the top (vent) hole.Don't let air get in. Put your finger over the bottom hole and replace top screw and seal. Then replace bottom screw and seal. Don't worry about a bit dripping out the bottom as this is required. Use NEW seals. JB is right.. The gearcase is full of gears,and shafts and the oil qty will only be a couple of pints maximum.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

I've always just drained my lower unit, filled it with new lube and put the same screws back in the top and bottom hole. I've never used new seals, I guess i should start. Luckily, I've never seen any water in the drained oil.

Beater

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, that's how you do it but keep lotsa paper towels handy and don't wear good clothes. OK maybe I exagerate but I find this to be a messy job a lot of times.