How to drain lower unit

mrbuckaro

Cadet
1988 force 125 #1251X8C. I want to change the lub in my lower unit, how do I get the lub out.? One piece lower unit non thru prop exhaust. On the starboard side are two screws one vent one fill. How do I get the old lub out.? Also, tilt trim working good, if it failed how would I raise the motor.? 2 wire motor/pump, center trim ram. If I remove the fill plug would I be able to raise it.? Seloc manual sucks.

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to drain lower unit

There is a drain screw on the bottom of the L/U towards the front. It looks just like the vent/fill srews. Make sure you get new seals before replacing the vent/fill/drain screws.<br /><br />DO NOT remove the screw that is on the side of the L/U. It holds the shift assembly together on the inside of the LU.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by red_neck_cpa:<br /> There is a drain screw on the bottom of the L/U towards the front. It looks just like the vent/fill srews.
No it does NOT look like the fill/drain screws. Its a TINY hexhead setscrew type, and you need an allen wrench to get it out. Way up under the nosecone in the front <br />And do NOT REMOVE that side screw in the nosecone.

budblas

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br />
Originally posted by red_neck_cpa:<br /> There is a drain screw on the bottom of the L/U towards the front. It looks just like the vent/fill srews.
No it does NOT look like the fill/drain screws.<br />Its a TINY hexhead setscrew type, and you need an allen wrench to get it out. Way up under the nosecone in the front <br />And do NOT REMOVE that side screw in the nosecone.
The fill/vent/drain screws on my 125 are identical. In fact all three of them are interchangeable. There is also the shift assy. screw which is 'tiny' and which I am not referring to.<br /><br />Bud

mrbuckaro

Cadet

After your corrected reply I had no problem finding the drain. It is indeed a very small alllen screw,located right bekow the do not touch screw. Thank You.