how to drain engine oil ?

no1shep

Cadet
i recently pumped out my engine oil(4.3 mercruiser mpi.)i was able to get approx.3 qts. out.the capacity is supposed to be 5.5 qts. i asked my local marine mech.about this and he told me that if i get that much removed it's ok.is there a pump made that will remove all the oil?i cannot reach the oil pan.there is a tether hose connected to the pan with a plug in the end but i cannot fish it to the transome plug hole.any ideas?
thanks for the help you guys have provided in the past.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: how to drain engine oil ?

if you cant fish it out the plug hole, connect a pump to it where it is.

no1shep

Cadet

thanks doctur! thought never occured to me or my mech?
appreciate this.

woodrat

Ensign

While I have my engine in the air, I just added a kit from Jabsco that puts a nice long rubber hose in place of the engine drain plug. In the future, I will be able to run this hose out the bilge drain hole and drain the oil just like a normal person would-with gravity! Cost $55 at boater's world, WAY more than you would think something like that should cost, but it does say "boat" on the package, so there you go...

I know it will make me at least $55 happier in the future...

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ozzydude,

I have one of those electric pumps (same thing but not from Bass Pro) and they work really well especially if the oil is a little cool. There are a couple of little problems though; generally the hose that goes from the pump to your waste container comes coiled up in the box, so right when your in the middle of pumping oil and not paying attention the hose likes to recoil consequently dumping oil usually on your carpet.
The other thing is that the hose/fitting that connects to the pump is not very robust so it can happen that the hose can let loose from the fitting and spray oil usually on your carpet.
Aside from that it's a pretty cool deal. Beats the manual pump any day.

ozzydude

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys, for as cheap as it is its worth trying out :)

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one of those electric pump thing like from Bass Pro, it works fine for me, just keep you hands on the hoses and make sure your bucket your drainin into is big enough.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

I use a different and very effective method, but it's probably too complicated for most people.
I draw a high vacuum on an empty 25 pound disposable freon bottle, then connect it to the dipstick fitting, which goes to a modified drain plug, ('84 OMC 5.7). It sucks all the oil into the bottle in less than 5 minutes.
To empty the bottle, I pressurize it with air and turn upside down.