how to clean aluminum?

Peter O

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 14' aluminum about 20 years old and it's really a dull "grey". What have you effectively used to make your boat shine?<br /><br />thanks

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: how to clean aluminum?

If you want to do it by hand, you can use sandpaper. Maybe a 220 grit or higher - depending on how much dulling or oxidation is on the hull. I did this at the spot where I put the hull ID numbers on mine. <br /><br />Then for the rest, I used one of those nylon abrasive wheels that you put on a power drill (or on a cordless drill). It has nylon bristles that clean the surface without scraping into the metal. <br /><br />I used a wire disc ONLY for cleaning out the pitted spots that went through my hull where I had to apply some JB Weld to repair the holes.<br /><br />G'Luck!<br />Rex S.

dwarrick

Seaman Apprentice

I am sure it would be the same as my Trailer which is Aluminum I try to keep it clean but it gets dull quickly sitting in the weather. I use SOS pads to clean it and make it shine. Yes it is a lot of work but it gets great results. I then put a coat of Marine wax with UV protection and it stays shiny for about a year.

Pole'e

Cadet

Scotch brite pad with semichrome. Semichrome is a polishing compound with very tiny gritty particals in it.Semichrome is not to be used on very highly polished surfaces.No matter what you'll be useing manual laber.Easy off oven cleaner may also works.I know it will strip off old paint off alum boats with ez.Use the semichrome on your electric car buffer if u have one.<br /><br /> Pole'e

D

DJ

I use scouring pads with corn starch. Plus, you can let it run down the drain without having any misgivings.

Homerr

Commander

Being a machinist, I work on aluminum regularly.<br />SCOTCH-BRITE is God's gift to aluminum cleaning!<br /><br />They have pads in different grades. I love this stuff for a fine polishing. Works every time.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />H.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

Here's the scoop....aluminum boat restoration is one of the things I do in the welding business;<br />1. Strip any paint if any.<br />2. Use nylon wheel in a 2500rpm drill to clean corrosion.<br />3. Use FINE S.S. wire wheel for heavy deposits.<br />4. Wash boat with soap and water and rinse well then let dry.<br />5. Us Alumiprep diluted about 3 to one and keep working all areas of the boat with a fine 3M pad (do not let this stuff dry on the boat). Then rinse with water and let dry.<br />6. Then apply Alodine full strength using a brush, keeping the aluminum wet and soak for about 3 minuts. Rinse and let dry.<br />7. Use aircraft or marine "green" zinc chromate primer, cut 40% with toluene. Paint entire boat.<br />8. Let cure for 5 days and paint whatever color you want....any good quality automotive paint or marine paint will do, use something that has a hardner added to it.<br /> 9. Any corroded rivets can be replaced with #10-24 X 1/2" S.S. Phillips TRUSS HEAD screws and flat washer with nylon locking nut. use a drop of 5200 under the head of each screw. use a 3/16" drill bit to drill out the rivet Make sure you drill out the rivets and treat the boat as aformentioned BEFORE you put the screw in.