How to check 1984 mercruiser sterndrive

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
How should I check a sterndrive on a boat I'm considering? I looked at the fluid (clear) and pushed up and down on it to look for transom flexing, and test drove it. Is there anything else to consider?<br /><br />Thanks

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to check 1984 mercruiser sterndrive

If you test drove the boat,<br />were there any noises faint knocking sounds when turning lock to lock or triming up down.(u-joints)<br />Any howling or whine sounds ?(gears and gimble bearing)<br />Did it go in and out FWD /rev without trouble?<br />You drained the gear lube completely out,chk for filings .<br />Raise the outdrive up and inspect bellows and hoses and shift cable for wear or cracking!<br />Get a maitenance history on it<br />Just a few suggestions<br />Rich

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I highly recommend a compression test on the motor.Check the bottom of the oil pan for corrosion.Oil pan is cheap but you have to pull the motor to change it.Check all manifolds.Run the boat above 3500 rpms for a while and watch the temp. charlie

andrewgroup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in the process of selling one of my boats and here is what I offer to my prospective buyers.<br /><br />1. We agree on a price assuming several things:<br />The engine is on fine condition as determined by him or his designated expert.<br /><br />2. The outdrive is in good condition as determined by him or his designated expert<br /><br />3. The hull / flooring / Interior system is in good condition as determined him or his designated expert.<br /><br />I'll bet your test drive was rather boring, Me on the otherhand, With these agreements and a agreed price I'll take the boat out on the lake and spend about 15 minutes at WOT with lot's of hard turning, lot's of hole shots, pull a skier or two....I want he thing to break while I own it rather than after the sale.<br /><br />The smart consumer should be listening for noise in the hard turns, clunks, etc. Water temp variations. easy shifting....Vacuum Checks on hte engine.. And so much more..<br /><br />I recommend you contact a local MERC expert and ask for their tips....(pressure check)<br />See if a local shop will inspect the unit on your behalf.

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, guys. I did compression check; 145-150PSI. Didn't hear any strange noises in outdrive. Temp was good-about 140 (it is fresh water cooed). Started cold fine. Only issue is it died trying to pull skier. Went into fwd, idled, but died with any attempt to pull hard, even if it was a slow throttle push. This happened after several minutes at WOT. Then I had a hard time even starting it back up. I finally was able to get power by goosing the throttle lever back and forth, and we were able to ski. Reverse was fine.

Hasbeen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Id bet my huntin dog that it needs a carb rebuild, probably just accelerator pump but might as well put in the whole kit! That is unless its fuel injected!!<br /><br />Hasbeen

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think your dog is safe--I bet you're right. It has a carb. <br /><br />When I checked the outdrive fluid, I only let a few drops run out. Do I have to drain it all?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> If this is a 3.0 then have someone check the pump mounted filter. no one ever checks them and they do clog. you described a lean bog and a dirty pump filter will cause low fuel level in the fuel bowl after a idle period.<br /> good luck and keep us posted.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

The temp sounds cool to me for a fresh water cooled motor.It sounds right if it were a raw water cooled.Take a look and make sure there is a thermostat in the housing.If there is not,the seller may be trying to hide something.Sounds like it is running 20-30 degrees too cool.Charlie

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class

I said "fresh water" thinking of lake water--I guess the correct term is "raw water".