How to change tube for live well of older bass tracker-'87 16'

jmmiller87

Recruit
I've had this boat about 2 yrs. and have developed a leak in the black corrugated tubing just about 1" from where it attaches to the live well pump. I want to replace the tubing. What a mess. Just getting the panel off the top was a trip cause the metal screws were rusted and had to be drilled out. Then finding all the space filled with foam, completely covering the hose from the pump to the live well. Had to dig out a bunch of the foam just to expose the end that attaches to the live well. It seems that to get to the other end I'm going to have to remove a lot of the foam at the pump end.
Does anyone have experience doing this? Can I just run the new hose on top of some of the foam or should I take out all the old foam so it runs level. If I take out the foam should I then replace it when finished?
Can anyone help?

sasto

Captain
Re: How to change tube for live well of older bass tracker-'87 16'

Generally speaking as long as the hose from the pump to the outlet has no low spots except for the pump you should be good. That meaning no loops in the hose to cause an air lock. Good luck.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is probably no reason to replace the entire hose. Head to Lowes, Home Depot, Menards or any hardware store and buy a barbed coupling and a length of hose with the same inside diameter. Connect the new hose to the pump. Cut the existing tubing back to a point where there is good solid material. Add the coupling with a hose clamp. Cut the new hose to the desired length and connect it to the other end of the barbed coupling. Secure with a hose clamp. Then go fishing..

NYBo

Admiral

I can hardly believe I'm typing this, but I have to disagree with Silvertip. :eek:

That corrugated tubing was marginal from the standpoint of strength when it was new; I don't think a few decades has improved it. It also doesn't clamp well except at the factory-formed ends. Replace the entire length. Something like this would be much better than the corrugated stuff, IMO.