How to change lower unit oil --1976 9.8 Mercury

freybaby

Cadet
I am winterizing my 1976 9.8 Merc for the first time by myself.I am good on fogging carbs etc but am not sure about changing lower unit oil. I have located two plugs/screws, the top one looks like a plug and has "flush" embossed by it.I assume I remove this so that I can see new lube come out. If this is incorrect please advise. What I believe is the bottom drain is not a plug but a screw (may have been a plug at one time?) this is located near cavitation plate. I do not want to break this loose until I am sure this is the drain for fear of removing wrong thing. Please advise.

When putting new lube is it recommended to use a "lube pump" and will the fitting thread into small motors such as this or do I need special size?

I have read a number of articles about winterizing and feel comfortable doing so, but I am confused by this screw on the bottom

Thanks for any advice

ryanalaska1990

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How to change lower unit oil --1976 9.8 Mercury

I am winterizing my 1976 9.8 Merc for the first time by myself.I am good on fogging carbs etc but am not sure about changing lower unit oil. I have located two plugs/screws, the top one looks like a plug and has "flush" embossed by it.I assume I remove this so that I can see new lube come out. If this is incorrect please advise. What I believe is the bottom drain is not a plug but a screw (may have been a plug at one time?) this is located near cavitation plate. I do not want to break this loose until I am sure this is the drain for fear of removing wrong thing. Please advise.

When putting new lube is it recommended to use a "lube pump" and will the fitting thread into small motors such as this or do I need special size?

I have read a number of articles about winterizing and feel comfortable doing so, but I am confused by this screw on the bottom

Thanks for any advice

the bottom screw is to drain it and the top screw is your fill check screw.

when draining or filling you want BOTH screws out.

if you filling it you want to use the pump( you can get one cheap at a west marine ) it screws into the hole, you would pump the oil into thelower unit untill it starts to come out of the top screw hole. then your put the top screw in. and quickly unscrew the pump and put in the bottom screw.

freybaby

Cadet
Re: How to change lower unit oil --1976 9.8 Mercury

Thanks for the link--I can only find one screw which after looking at link I believe is the vent screw. I cannot find the drain screw. The screw I mentioned originally at the top marked "flush" is up around the transom mount. Now I am not sure what this is for.But as I said I cannot find drain screw, any other thoughts?