How to bypass the neutral safety switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayliner1750

Recruit
Hi,

I recently purchased a 1999 Bayliner Capri 1750 and after some troubleshooting, I think the culprit is the neutral safety switch.

How do I bypass the neutral the safety switch? I realize bypassing the NSS is not a long-term solution as the boat will start in gear and the associated safety hazards. My plan is to bypass it and if that fixes my problem, replace the neutral safety switch.

Below is a picture of the ignition switch with three terminals labelled B I & S. I think the Neutral Safety Switch is S. Do I bypass it at the ignition switch or do I have to remove the throttle assembly to bypass it.

View attachment 208522

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 20

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to bypass the neutral safety switch?

at the control box you`ll find 2 yellow wires or 2 yellow/red stripe wires. simply splice them together

achris

More fish than mountain goat

They are usually joined to the yellow/reds in the ignition switch harness and the engine harness by bolt and nut (with an insulating sleeve over them).. As the Doc said, just clip those two together.

Chris.....

bayliner1750

Recruit

image.jpg
at the control box you`ll find 2 yellow wires or 2 yellow/red stripe wires. simply splice them together

I just want to confirm that these are the two wires to splice.
View of the throttle control from stern showing two yellow with red striped wires coming out the back:
View attachment 208549

Status
Not open for further replies.