How to buy a Quality Boat - Aluminum

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thought I'd share this book I picked up when I bought my first new AlumaCraft in '68.

This is the Aluminum Boats section. No other competitors boats were better built.

My boat happens to be the numbered detailed pictured FD model.

BoatbookfrontcoverCE.jpg

Boatbookpage1CE.jpg

Boatbookpage2C.jpg

FDboatconstruction100C.jpg

Boatbookpage4C.jpg

BoatbookbackcoverCE.jpg

Trackbolt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: How to buy a Quality Boat - Aluminum

River-Runner

Thanks for posting the old Alumacraft literature. I know at one time I had the 1958 product catalog that my dad had along with the owners manual for the Evinrude Bigtwin 35 that goes with my open C. The Evinrude manual is still in the folder but the Alumacraft catalog is missing. I wrote Sue at Alumacraft to see if they had any reproduction catalogs from their archive. Have not heard back yet. Do you know of any place on-line where more information on old Alumacraft products can be had? I came along too late for the Vintagealumacraft site and missed it. From what I have read it was a good one. Sure sounds like the place for me. I am thinking about looking for an FD and a late 60's OMC 35-40 to rebuild for power. I will have the Open C done by spring.

Trackbolt

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trackbolt,

It's hard to find info on the old boats and I don't know of a good place. I just pick up most of what I know seeing the boats through the years, being 57. Over time, some knowledge scattered on the internet and eBay. Sometimes the site fiberglassics.com - aluminum forum, but on that site all the old posts disappeared. The Vintagealumacraft site was great, maybe it'll come back?

Thanks, your helping me with your Model C. I have the tinny boat illness.

If anyone knows more let us know.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

River-Runner

I am thinking about looking for an FD and a late 60's OMC 35-40 to rebuild for power.

Trackbolt

For going prices, here's an FD that sold last month on eBay for $865.00, boat only and rated for 40 hp. I would guess it's about 40 years old and is in very good condition but I'd take those seats off and toss them, the bench seats are the way to go. The buyer from MA. and seller from WI. The seller is 75 miles from me.

I'm always looking, did I say I have the tinny boat illness?

10-24-07FD1smallpicE.jpg

10-24-07FD2smallpicE.jpg

10-24-07FD3smallpic.jpg

Trackbolt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is a nice boat. What a good investment. Probably went for half of that new. I don't know what my dad paid for the 15' Open C in 1958 but must have been in the $300-$500 range. I was looking at some old Alumacraft literature and the 15' boat was offered in three configurations. Deep C, Flying C and the Super C which was a dual cockpit. The thing I find puzzling is that the Deep C, Flying C and the Super C are rated for 60 hp while the Open C is rated at for 50. I don't know if I'll get to an FD. I at least like to try a vintage Evinrude 50 on the Open C. I too am always looking. There had been a Feathercraft Vagabond languishing in the weeds near a ramp that I use from time to time. It was there for many years on a broken down trailer. It was a unique looking boat with the curved rear sides. It's gone now. Hopefully someone is doing a restoration and not recycling.
I know about the "illness" I used to collect and restore vintage Gravely tractors. I made a pact with myself to restore dad's boat and just enjoy it.

Trackbolt

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see in the brochure the part about the "noiseless bearing" for the oarlocks. Did that practice stick around long? Is there some sort of replacement that keeps the oars quiet?

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nevermind, I was using the wrong words for searching but I need some of these.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see in the brochure the part about the "noiseless bearing" for the oarlocks. Did that practice stick around long? Is there some sort of replacement that keeps the oars quiet?

All the boats have the same bearings and they do last a long time. They are just a split sleeve, hard bronze wear bushing, press fit into the oarlock opening.

Don't know about getting some. I'm a Tool & Die Maker and can make them, but it would be costly for what they are. Maybe inquiring with Alumacraft or salvage them from another boat. Or use your imagination for something to use as a substitute sleeve bushing.