How to attach a remote starter button to trouble shoot the electronics? 1997, 75 HP

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gentlemen,

This is probably a dumb question, but I do not want to burn up my electronics even though they may already be broken. I have a 1997 Mercury Force 75 HP Model ELPT, SN# 0E250062, 3 Cylinder, one carb motor. Many of you guys are already helping me with a no spark issue and a damaged flywheel teeth issue. This weekend I will begin to trouble shoot the Stator, Trigger and CDM Packs ( Coils). Some of you guys suggested using a remote starter switch. I picked up one today from Harbor Freight for $ 14.99.

Now I need some help in hooking it up properly. The instructions state that one lead attaches to the postive post on the battery and the other lead to the solenoid . I then understand that I push the button to spin the starter. Where on the Solenoid do I attach the wires? I was thinking that I would attach them to both postive post on the solenoid, but that may not be accurate. I have a wiring diagram at home, but I am on the road and curious.

I know that the solenoid has several terminals for the Ignition signal, and Neutral Saftery Switch. Do I hook the one lead to those post and one to the battery?

Also, do I need to turn the key on before I use the remote switch?

Thanks,

Donald

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: How to attach a remote starter button to trouble shoot the electronics? 1997, 7

You hook up one lead on the battery connection on the starter solenoid. That is the connection with the cable that goes from the battery to the solenoid. Not the connection that goes from the solenoid to the starter. Hook up the other lead to the small terminal on the starter solenoid that has the yellow wire connected to it. Press the button, and the starter will engage. If the ignition key is OFF, the engine will spin but will not start. With the ignition key ON, the ignition system is fully functional and under normal conditions, the motor will start.

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to attach a remote starter button to trouble shoot the electronics? 1997, 7

This is a 1998 75.

One clip on "A" and one on "C".

"A" is the main positive wire from the battery.

"C" is the wire from the ignition switch.

Exactly as pnwboat has explained. I thought the pictures may help.

Attachments

• Solenoid2.jpg
    Solenoid2.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 13
  • solenoid Test2.jpg
    solenoid Test2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 13

Jiggz

Captain

It doesn't get anymore detailed than that! Nice pics TwoF!

dst87mcssac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow,

You guys are great. Thanks for all of the help. My Serial Number sticker states the motor is indeed a 1997, but the boat is a 1998 so there could be some overlap. You can buy a 2013 car today in 2012. I am the second owner of the boat.

Thanks again,

Donald